a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cockpit Cushions for a 1989 23.

Started by Bill Martin, April 28, 2024, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Martin

Looking to buy cockpit cushions for my 23 Mark II.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

crazycarl

I would ask around if there is a local seamstress that could make them for you.

My daughter works at a canvas shop.  She sews custom bimini tops and full boat covers.  Their prices are the lowest I've found.  You could have them make the covers, and buy the foam yourself and cut it to fit. That would save you a lot of $ for shipping. My daughter made new cushions and a new bimini for our 19.

https://www.johnsoncanvas.com/
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

Quote from: Bill Martin on April 28, 2024, 10:12:37 AMLooking to buy cockpit cushions for my 23 Mark II.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Well based on my experience with them, don't do it.  Mine came with the boat when I bought it.  A single piece each for port and starboard.  Never liked them, hard to store aboard when not using and can't leave them out, they will make a mess of the cockpit on the bottom of the cushion with leaves, pine straw and other debris, staining the fiberglass. I caught a couple of those Go Anywhere folding cushions at West Marine on sale and found them much more user friendly.  Have a back, can move them where you want them, store flat in the cabin when not in use. If you do go with cushions I would make them sectional so that you can get in the cockpit lockers without everyone and the cushion having to move.

crazycarl

Duh! Cockpit cushions, I read cushions and thought interior. My bad. I have closed cell foam "Bottom Sider" cushions. They're made to fit our 19. There are 5 of them allowing easy locker access. They are comfortable and double as floats when anchored out and swimming.  However, they're pricey and at over 1 1/2" thick, they raise you up to where leaning against the coaming is a little uncomfortable. We had a folding "chair" cushion. The wife liked it, but after a few years it wouldn't fold anymore making it difficult to store.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"