Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hello from Madison and a New owner of a 23D

Started by DanB 23, April 12, 2024, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanB 23

Hello!
My name is Dan and we just purchased Déjà Vu, a 1998 23D in ready to sail condition. We will be in a slip this year on Madison's Lake Mendota and then we are planning an early September trip to the Apostle Islands. Are any other Com-pacs on Mendota or in the Driftless region?
--
1998 Compac 23D "Déjà Vu"
1968 Ericson 41 "Magic",
1986 Pearson 27 "Never Say Never"
"There is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" (Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows)

crazycarl

Welcome Dan!

Being so close, it would be a shame if you didn't introduce yourself at this years CLR in southern IL.  Us flatlanders would welcome the chance to have the very first 23d attend.  Though we are flatlanders, I can say for certain non of us are "fibs".

As for the Apostle Islands, I will be up there the week of August 12th along with another Compac O' Naut sailing with the Catalina 22 Owners Assc.

Carl
1985 Compac 19/II
s/v Miss Adventure
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

DanB 23

Hi Carl,
I've got CPL penciled in for discussion with my mate. Since we have yet to unfurl the sails we can't commit yet but it does sound like a lot of fun. We bought her in Sister Bay, WI in zero-degree February so there was no sea trial. But Déjà Vu was stored in a heated garage which made the inspection easy. The only issue is that we had no trailer brakes on the trip home. I am going to replace the surge brakes with electric-over-hydraulic before traveling any distance.

And technically we live in Galena, IL but we which is just over the border, and definitely not "fibs." :)

--
1968 Ericson 41 "Magic",
"There is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" (Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows)

crazycarl

Galena is beautiful. Spent many weekends at B&Bs there while antiquing.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Fastdoc98

Well, hello Dan B from another Dan B!!  I'm south of you a few hours but at least we're in the same state.  I'm in Charleston,IL with a 2009 Eclipse, trailering from the middle of the corn(and bean!) fields.  If you ever head down this way, Lake Carlyle is a really nice spot to sail.  You could get a slip at the marina (it's cheap) and stay on the boat or the hotel that is nearby.  The Apostle's are a dream destination for me; maybe someday.  I did spend almost a week in Fish Creek one fall and that was probably the most fun I've ever had with mine.  I'm planning on going back this fall if I can swing it.

DanB 23

Hi Dan! I like the Eclipse for its new design with centerboard. The numbers shows she is a fast boat! I would love to check one out. We simply could not pass up Déjà Vu given her condition and sail-readiness. I would love to have a centerboard but as every boat is a compromise we gave up some pointing ability for other amenities. We hope to meet up other Com-Pac owners at CPL or future events. The Apostles have been on our list for years. We are planning to base out of a Bayfield slip for the convenience and maybe one or two overnights on the outer islands.
--
1968 Ericson 41 "Magic",

Lululady

Hi there! We used to have a 23 on the Abacos and now have a new to us 83 CP 16 in our driveway in Sauk County. We've been sailing in Devils Lake just trying her out but definitely plan on the larger Madison lakes shortly!