a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trouble with Cetol

Started by crazycarl, March 27, 2024, 05:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

I've always had great success with Cetol. The last application (14 coats) lasted nearly 8 years uncovered in all types of weather.  I've found that if you keep it clean and the boat is stored in an area where it can dry quickly after a rain, the Cetol lasts a long time.  However this time I'm having a difficult time with it.  I removed all the exterior teak and stripped off the old Cetol. The teak was then washed with oxalic acid and sanded. I opened the old can and found no "skin" on the top, so I poured some through a strainer and into asmall container (nothing in the strainer) and brushed it on all the teak.  The following day it was still like syrup. This Cetol is over 10 years old, but I just used it on a flag pole last fall without incident. I purchased a new can of Cetol and after stripping the syrup off with acetone, I again washed it with oxalic acid.  30 hours later all the pieces felt good except for 2.  Still gummy. Today I soaked those 2 pieces in acetone and scrubbed them with a green 3M pad. I'll allow them to dry overnight and will see what happens with the Cetol.   
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Cpy23ecl

I just used some 8 year old cetol and it still felt a bit sticky after 24 hrs.  A week later it was fine.

Fred

crazycarl

A week? I couldn't wait that long.  I have 3 work benches in the garage 5 separate projects on them and the wife thinks refinishing the kitchen chairs is the most important. Silly woman. 
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"