a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fixing my Aquameter Gemini compass

Started by BoatTreble, February 24, 2024, 07:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoatTreble

When I bought my CP27 the previous owner told me I would need to add some oil to the compass.  I thought ok.  No worries.  Then when I looked at the compass I realized it had no oil left inside of it.

I contacted Viking Compass and talked with them about my options and they recommended I send the compass to them for a rebuild.  The price was reasonable.  But ... in my fashion I decided to give refurbishing it myself a go.  My research indicated that the expansion diaphragm was the most likely suspect so I disassembled the compass.  I discovered that the diaphragm was cracked and worn so I ordered a new one and a new dome o-ring and fill bolt o-ring as well as a bottle of compass oil.

The dome had become yellowed from the sun so my son, who enjoys detailing automobiles, said he could polish the coloration out of the dome.  When he was done it looked brand new.

During the reassembly I noticed four small cracks radiating around the fill bolt socket.  I considered ordering a new bowl but decided, instead, to repair the small cracks.  Gingerly using super glue and a toothpick I filled the four cracks in using two separate layers of glue.  I refilled the compass with oil and let it sit on a dry napkin to see if there were any leaks.  So far so good.  The oil is staying right where it should be ... inside the compass.  So, for about 1/3 the cost of a factory rebuild (and learning all about the inner components of the compass) this old device now works and looks great again.

I enjoy repairing something to keep it going rather than replacing it whenever I can and this compass was a fun and educational project.

Al