a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

handrail removal

Started by marcel, June 06, 2023, 05:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcel

Hi, I was wondering what type of socket or wrench or other tool (and size) you use to remove the handrail nuts on a Suncat. All the Sockets I've tried can't fit inside the washers because the walls of the socket are too thick. Thanks in advance for any responses-

Dave-in-RI

I don't have your answer but was encouraged by the Compac dealer I bought my used Suncat from not to attempt to remove them as the super adhesive beneath most likely would tear the gelcoat from the fiberglass. He said tape them off and refinish them while attached.

marcel

One of the screws with nuts is leaking on the inside so I wanted to reseal it

Bob23

Marcal! First of all- Welcome! If the nuts on your Suncat are the same as on my 23, I know exactly what you are dealing with. I think the nuts are 3/8" I took a 1/4" drive socket and on my bench grinder carefull ground the walls down super thin and also ground a bevel on the head of the socket. I have no photos so I hope this helps.
Bob23

marcel

Thank you very much Bob, I may give that a try.

Dave-in-RI

I know there's such a thing as a thin-walled socket, perhaps you can find one at a local hardware or mechanic supply store (or online). For posterity's sake, please do let us know what worked out for you because it'll be one of us next! :) Welcome to the forum.

marcel

Thanks Dave, yes, I have tried thin walled sockets but they still are too thick to fit. I'll post what may have worked-

Bob23

I think what really worked for me was the grinding of the bevel on the socket. I still have it around somewhere in my toolbox.
Bob23

marcel

I'll give that a try and see if it works.