a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Furler line replacement

Started by GeorgeH, April 24, 2023, 12:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeH

Getting ready for summer sailing, upstate NY, Cayuga Lake.  Noticed a bit of fraying on the jib furling line.  Could not find a name, assume it's a CDI.  Original line seems to be 1/4 inch.  CDI has recommendations but you need to know what model.  Any thoughts?

We are fourth quarter sailors, #59, (sail on) Silvergirl.  Thanks, GPS, that's George, Pat, and canine Suzy
Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY

slode

I run 3/16" Sta-set on mine.  1/4" seems too heavy.  I don't know if 1/4" would even fit through my fairleads.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

GeorgeH

Thanks, my measurement was just a guess! George
Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY

Tim Gardner

Hey, George,  I grew up on Cayuga Lake in the 50s & 60s in Union Springs.  Left in 69 to join the Navy .  I still have family back there,  so no peeing in the lake.  You do qualify for the Right Reverend Timothy's blessing of your boat.  (1 us dollar) sent to Bob 23 along with the initiation fee he requires of $5K
Yours in sailing on, the RRTG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Tim Gardner

Hey, George,  I grew up on Cayuga Lake in the 50s & 60s in Union Springs.  Left in 69 to join the Navy .  I still have family back there,  so no peeing in the lake.  You do qualify for the Right Reverend Timothy's blessing of your boat.  (1 us dollar) sent to Bob 23 along with the initiation fee he requires of $5K
Yours in sailing on, the RRTG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

GeorgeH

RRTD,  if you wait until the fall, we can easily send you that fee in surplus tomatoes or a rubbery type check now!  We've been sailing the south end of the lake since 2018 from Treman State Marina. As you probably know the lake is pretty narrow at the south end, winds usually northish or southish so it's not easy getting up to Union Springs without a long motor assisted ride, probably more than a day.   I checked the chart and quickly developed LWJ, that would be lake width jealousy.  But the marina is  close to home and has lots of boats with and without those pole like thingies sticking up in the air.  Good Company. We often brag about the days we get up to Lansing, and a few sailors make it up to the old power plant under sail, with faster boats and lots of hard work.  So.....if ever get up that far, we'll use the porta potti and keep an eye out for ancient sailboat wakes left over from when you were here!  GPS, (George Pat, Suzy-canine)
Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY