Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Launch depth

Started by rmonsma, May 08, 2007, 10:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmonsma

Hi Everyone,

After purchasing "Laura Lee" last fall, enduring a long winter here in Michigan and doing tons of work to bring her up to snuff, I will be launching my 1993 CP 23-3 for the first time.  I can hardly wait!

How deep does the water at the launch need to be to float the boat?  I have a performance trailer with an extender section on the tongue.  I will be launching at South Haven, MI municipal launch which is used by many boaters to access Lake Michigan but he water levels on Lake Michigan is at a 10 - 15 year low right now.  It cycles plus or minus 4-5 feet over time.

In your experience is it difficult to find a launch with sufficient depth? 

Is there anything I should be aware of my first time?

I don't want to go  through all the work to launch only to find out she won't float off the trailer. 

Thanks!

Roger

LConrad

Try measuring from the ground to the waterline ahead of the wheels.  The bunks on my performance trailer are higher at the ends than the middle, so depending on the angle of the ramp, that depth at the wheels should get you close.  My 23 needs to float over the back end of the bunks which are higher than the middle. 

The ramp I use is not very steep. The trailer extension is only a couple of feet and tends to put the SUV rear wheels in the water to launch.  The club built a dolly hitch extension that is easier and drier than extending my trailer hitch.  It is a 2" ball riding on two wheels welded to about 10' of pipe.  A trailer tongue is attached to the other end. of the pipe.  I am thinking of making one for myself.  Backing is a unique experience with that setup.