a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchor Roller For Bowsprit?

Started by 5monkeys, December 07, 2022, 11:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5monkeys

Like many of you I have been checking out the DIY's and Mod's at Sailboat Richlands, Particularly DIY 9 and 30. Since I already have a Genoa from a CP19-2...I have wanted to add the bowsprit...but it's a costly endeavor, so seeing Keith's suggestion of using the anchor roller from the Legacy (and the rigid Bobstay) struck a chord with me.

"You can buy a bowsprit direct from Com-Pac. You will need to modify your bow pulpit like the one we did on our DIY link. I like the anchor roller option for a Legacy better. It will extend your sail plan by 12 inches just like a bowsprit, but it will cost alot less money. See the 16 picture below."

" If you install a bowsprit, you may need to install a small extension."
(http://www.thingsofyesteryear-2u.com/)

In the quote above, Keith Scott is responding to questions about a 19, however, the reference and the pictures are of a 16.

I'll try to attach pictures...2 of modified boats and 1 of the legacy setup.

I started to get excited. I emailed Matt at Compac regarding parts required. He noted that I'd probably need a new headstay in addition and that they think that the Anchor Roller might not be strong enough. He advised I reach out to Keith for details since Compac has not tried this configuration.

Has anybody here done this mod or something like it?

Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

5monkeys

From my conversation with Keith Scott:

AHH, that's more in line with what I was thinking... extend the pulpit the way you did.. with the 1" tube. Add the roller with the bobstay and potentially add an extension plate below the CDI as needed to reach the bale on the roller....if it works on a 23 it should work on a 19 :-). I just got spooked when Matt said it wouldn't be strong enough. I figured that there was something I didn't understand. I'm guessing the bale is sold separately.. is it just the bale Compac lists in their parts list.. or do you have a specific one that you like for the 23's. ( I noticed in the pictures one looks beefier than the other). I'm back to being excited about the project, and thank you for your inspiration and guidance.

Regards,

Keith

On Friday, December 9, 2022 at 08:02:20 AM EST, sailboat <sailboat@sailboatrichlands.com> wrote:

Good Morning Keith,

With what you have, I don?t think an anchor roller will work.  The pulpit gets in the way.  In the pictures you sent me, I extended the pulpit.  Most people would have a hard time doing that.  In a CDI system, the forestay goes inside the extrusion.

If I owned your boat, I would have two choices.  Install the CDI to the bow without the anchor roller or buy an anchor roller with a bob stay and modify the pulpit.  The bob stay takes care of the weaken structure that Com-Pac was talking about.

The first choice above is a standard installation on hundreds of Mark I CP-23s.  The 23 doesn?t need to have it?s pulpit modified, so we started adding a bow sprit to the installation.  The furling is close to the pulpit, but it works.

Good luck with the project.  Keith

Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Gerry

Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16