Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

In-boom sheaves for slab reefing

Started by pbrenton, July 19, 2022, 04:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbrenton

Hi Folks,

The boom of my CP27, recently acquired, has in-boom reefing hardware.  At the back of the boom is a place for a pin and sheaves, but there seems to be no mechanism to hold the pin in place.  Here's a pic with my fat finger keeping the pin and one sheave in place; https://imgur.com/a/xIVKRpt

My question is, should there be something holding the pin in place or is the reefing line supposed to hold everything in there?  It seems a recipe for losing the hardware to me.  The pin is not wedging into the space in any sense, as I half expected it to.  Maybe its too worn to stick?

Thanks for any info or sources for parts.

Pete CP27 "Nydra".
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA

BobK

pbrenton

Thanks, Bob, I did find that diagram, but it is very much not obvious how the sheave pin is attached to the boom.  I think I know in theory how to rig the reefing system, finding space for more lines led to the cockpit is another story!
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"

pbrenton

For anyone in the future asking the same question.  It turns out the reefing lines hold the sheaves into the boom end.  This is not a great solution; I'm going to need to be very careful when removing the reefing lines each season not to lose the pin and sheaves.  Hopefully I can hold off until she's on the hard before doing that.  I can see my future self searching all around the stern of the boat on stands when I forget that I need someone at the end of the boom to "Catch" the sheaves and rod when pulling out the last reefing line.  Ah well. 
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"