a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone with a 3D Printer?

Started by crazycarl, June 09, 2022, 04:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

We all would like to have screens for our portholes.  Having them open at night makes sleeping aboard much more enjoyable.  Problem is those pesky mosquitoes and no-see-ums.
I think porthole screens could be fabricated with a 3D printer.  I understand the materials have come a long way and are quite durable.  I don't have one or I would have already experimented with it.  If anyone has one and would care to try making screens, I'm sure they could sell them here.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Cpy23ecl

Years ago I needed screens for my Bayfield 25 and bought some very thin plexiglass, around 1/16" thick and cut out a "frame" that fit in the port and then glued screen to it with solvent.  They worked quite well and were very cheap to make.

Fred

curtisv

Carl,

Wood is also fine and easy to work with but the frame may need to be thicker.  I'd make a template out of thinish scrap and rough cut the whole thing including inside on the bandsaw then files and sand to refine.  To get inside you'd have to cut through which is Ok for template.  Then use router to follow the template and cut the final frames.  Best if you have a router table.  Leave space and put some polyurathane foam around the outer edge of the frame to keep bugs from sneaking in.

OTOH - My solution is to anchor out beyond the bug zone.  Works in all but nearly still air.  I have screens but gaps on the sides so keeps out flies but not knats on still air evenings.  Mosquitos don't venture that far out (my mooring) over salt water even in still air.  Green bottle flies venture a mile or more out in light air (don't wear blue as the flies are attracted to it).  I sailed in BVI with two other boats (we chartered, not CP23, but you knew that).  I took the advice of the cruising guide and took the mooring furthest out.  No bugs at all.  The other two opted for close to shore and complained of getting attacked.  In some bodies of water, mostly fresh inland but also smaller salt water estuaries there is no bug free zone so never mind if that applies.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

Interesting topic. I have 2 friends in the construction business around here who have CNC machines which could easily cut these out of wood. I'd imagine a little poking around online and you could find someone in your area too.
Just my 2 cents... keep the change! You could buy some PBR with it!!
Bob23

slode

Do you have access to a Dremel tool with a circle cutter jig? 

You could use that to cut wood or polycarbonate rings and with the right radius ball nose cutter make a groove to accommodate the o-ring material used on screen doors/windows to hold the screen mesh in place.  Then just get some screen mesh and length of o-ring from your local hardware store, install and trim, and you'll have some nice screen inserts. 
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

curtisv

Quote from: slode on June 14, 2022, 10:05:20 AM
Do you have access to a Dremel tool with a circle cutter jig? 

You could use that to cut wood or polycarbonate rings and with the right radius ball nose cutter make a groove to accommodate the o-ring material used on screen doors/windows to hold the screen mesh in place.  Then just get some screen mesh and length of o-ring from your local hardware store, install and trim, and you'll have some nice screen inserts.

Closed foam polyurathane in 1/8 or 1/4, glued to the frame and compressed in place by 1/3 to 1/2 would be easier and probably work better than o-ring.  The foam in 1/4 would be more tolerant of bad tolerances when making the frame.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access