a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Jib Halyard Options

Started by Steve H, March 22, 2022, 06:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve H

I'm thinking about mounting a rope clutch on the mast for the jib halyard. There are 4 clutches on the coach house roof and 4 turning blocks. Since I rarely lower the jib, I figured that this would free up a clutch for the second reef, which I actually use, but is not currently run aft to the cockpit. I would still use the coach house winch to raise the jib, but once up, I never change it.

Any thoughts on why this might be a bad idea? Thanks.

Steve
"Molly Brown"
1994 CP 27/2
'94 Com-Pac 27
"Molly Brown"

wes

I haven't bothered running my reefing lines to the cockpit, since I have to go forward anyway to hook the sail grommet onto the gooseneck and tie in the reefing ties on my way back. Maybe you have a true single-line reefing system on your 1994 boat (mine is a 1988).

It's true that the jib halyard is rarely lowered, at least if you have a roller furler. However I do tension mine before sailing and release tension afterwards.

I have five rope clutches (Lewmar):

Main halyard
Main sheet
Jib halyard
Vang
Pole lift

Hope this helps -

Wes

"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Steve H

Thanks Wes,

I actually noticed that on your post about boom vangs. Maybe in the long run, I'll change out the clutches and turning blocks, but I was shocked by how expensive those simple parts are!

Steve
'94 Com-Pac 27
"Molly Brown"

wes

I used the Lewmar DC1 clutches, $139 from Defender for the dual and $200 for the triple (6-8 mm size). The deck organizer is $52 for the double, $62 for the triple (40 mm sheaves). Not too bad.

The turning blocks on the mast plate are all Garhauer single blocks, built like a tank and very reasonably priced (direct from Garhauer only).

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina