a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Sails & Where to Purchase Them

Started by crazycarl, December 27, 2021, 05:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

It's been 12 years since I last ordered sails and the 19 is in desperate need of new canvas.  There is a Doyle sail loft less than a 1/2 mile from me and I will visit them first, but I'm open to suggestions.  With her Forest Green hull, I think an off white or "Egyptian cotton" would look nice. 
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Ken J

Isn?t north sails to go to place these days - not sure doing from memory

BobK

I purchased my last set from FX sails in Charleston SC. I was pleased with both the quality and the price.
BobK 

crazycarl

I haven't looked into North yet, but in the past they were always much more than everyone else.  FX did nice work on the main for our 15' sailboat.  I've also used National for the new sails on our Starwind 19 twelve years ago.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

supersailmakers in florida is owned by doyle worked fine for me although i wish i would have  a  gone with a full  battened main. my friend randy (who will be at next years clr is going to convert both my new and old mains to full battened ones. randy by the way has build a number of planes as well as his 21 ft sailboat.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

soilgod

For what it is worth, a couple of years ago I needed new sails for my 1981 C-16.  I shopped and ordered from Precision sails.

https://www.precisionsailloft.com

I was really happy with them, both service and price.  The main sail was loose footed, equipped with mast slide slugs, (no bolt ropes).  Sail had 4 battens, draft lines and was well reinforced at all load concentration points. I'll attempt to attach picture of boat at dock with rigged mainsail.

My kids learned to sail on the Com-Pac and we still use it as our fun boat, dry sailed at the marina where we keep our C&C 38.
Have had 16 40 years  C&C for 32 years.  Can't sell an old boat.

soilgod

Here's better picture, first one was too big.