a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Optimal sail position on PC

Started by glenn1489, October 21, 2021, 09:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn1489

Getting towards the end of the season and I'm playing around a bit with sail height. I normally raise the PC sail so the boom is a few inches above the hinge. I noticed I can raise it much further - where the boom is almost a foot above the hinge. I was out in light winds and the boat felt pretty balanced. In heavier winds, I'm not sure if the "higher" sail would increase weather helm or excessive heeling. Do other PC owners adjust the sail height based on conditions or is there an optimal placement that is best in general? Higher boom = better visibility & more headroom, but what's the tradeoff?
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

I don't recall hearing of anyone routinely adjusting the sail height for performance. We set our boom, as Com-Pac delivered it, just at the hinge. I suppose, theoretically, a higher set might get better wind, while raising the COE, increasing heel and associated helm issues as you suggest.

You'll need to watch what's happening with the run of the peak halyard and the relative position of the blocks fixed to the mast head and gaff. As it's setting, you want the gaff to be drawn towards the mast and not up or down significantly, which could bind the gooseneck, and effect sail trim negatively. I did look at this issue when reefing, and installed a gaff bridle based on a traveler track so the system would adjust to the different gaff heights. Others have just added different fixed attachment points for the gaff block for reefing. You could do the same for a higher sail set.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=11321.0

We don't feel the need more headroom or visibility while sailing. With the sail down, and the boom below the hinge and on the gallows, visibility is restricted. I stand while transiting the harbor, especially in traffic. My hinged tiller helps with that.

If you do experiment, lets us know what you find!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Renae

I've sailed my SC with the gooseneck anywhere from 1" below the hinge to 3" above.  I'll vouch for more heel in the higher position.  If there is any advantage to weather, I haven't detected it.  I think the higher position's only advantage is in headroom, and you may need that more in a PC than in a SC.

glenn1489

Tried it again in moderate winds and yes, there seemed to be an increase in heel. I think I'll keep it just above the hinge as seems to be the norm, but what surprised me most was that this was even possible. A full foot or more of extra potential height seems like it must have been intentional in the design. Positioning the boom higher gives a whole new meaning to the term "raising sail."

I'm in New England (Cape Cod). Sad to see the sailing season nearing its end.

Thanks for the feedback, as always!
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

Yeah, but we've had the best September and October that I can remember in recent years. A lot of boats still in the water. No frost yet for us, and none in the forecast, that's unusual. We had snow for Halloween in 2011, and flurries more recently.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Renae

I haven't put her to bed yet in Minnesota.  120 hours under sail so far this season--not bad for a trailer sailer!

glenn1489

I still have a couple of weeks before I have her hauled out. The past week was perfect sailing weather - I got in 4 days straight of sailing! Hoping for more of the same. Most boats in my area are already gone and I'm enjoying the solitude. My PC lives at a mooring, so once she's out, she's out for the season. Boat & trailer spend the off-season at a boatyard (unfortunately I have no other options). It's a sad day to see her go.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

As nice as last week's weather was, I hope you did alright in the storm last night, Glenn. We had gusts to the mid 50s, but I see the outer Cape (Truro) had sustained winds up to 70 kts, with gusts to 100, at one point. Hopefully you didn't face that!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

glenn1489

We had gusts in the 60's where I am, but luckily from the north where I'm a bit more protected. Mooring held fine, which is always my main concern. The only thing on my "shoulda done this" list was to wrap a line around the sail cover to keep it from flapping so much. Fortunately, it didn't shred. I've seen reports of others not being so lucky with their boats - quite a storm! But forecast is for some good sailing weather next week - glad I'm still in the water.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

captbob57

Hello PC Nation,
I like to sail with the boom gooseneck just below the hinge on the mast just for the reason if I have to drop sail quickly the boom would already be in the lower part of the mast. Then I just have to focus on the sail cars and gaff gooseneck. Smooth Sailing!