a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

porta poti

Started by Don Frisby, August 26, 2021, 05:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Frisby

What's the best porta poti that will fit under the SunCat's entrance hatch? I think the Thetfort 365 might work. Wondering what others have come up with. Thx in advance.

Renae

You can work from the measurements, but smaller is better IMO.  Mines a 135.

First, you're not going to want to haul extra poundage of waste to a dump site.  Second, it tucks away easier.  Finally, if you're even marginally tall, your head going to stick out of the companionway while seated.  How much taller do you want to be at that point?  For me personally, I scan the horizon meaningfully, as if I were coming up out of an Island Packet to do a little visual nav.  When the chart is plotted, I duck back down as if I forgot something below.  Works.

Save your money for marine TP, a pump jug of HS, and environmentally responsible chemicals.

wes

One of the best tips ever on this site for my CP 19 was a folding camp toilet and WAG bags instead of a chemical porta-potty. Lighter, smaller, more sanitary. No more hauling gallons of disgusting liquid to a disposal site. My wife and daughter love it.

Highly recommended!

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

DanM

I agree with Wes. I sold the portapotty that came with our SC. Who wants to sleep with your head next to that thing? A study plastic bucket works for #1 and wag bags for #2.

brackish

Plus one for the clean waste wag bags.  I switched after one post cruise event where i was trying to separate that waste tank in what seemed like 100F temps below.  Then tote it up to a toilet about a football field away.  Then dump the disgusting thing, recharge it and put it back.

I keep a three gallon bucket with a gamma seal lid to store used wag bags while on a cruise, then simply dump the bucket in a trash receptacle at the end of my slip.  Soooooo much better.  I used the clean waste toilet but you may not have room for that unless you cut off the legs, however it does knock down to the size of a large brief case.  Another advantage is that I can move it to the main cabin at night or to the cockpit on summer nights.