a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder efficiency

Started by Cpy23ecl, July 28, 2021, 01:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpy23ecl

Just curious if anybody has added a ruddercraft rudder to the eclipse.  I'm finding that the factory rudder on the eclipse doesn't work all that well at very low speeds and find my self needing to use the outboard to maneuver at low speeds especially in crowded areas.

My 23 was that way (and actually far worse) with the original flat blade rudder.  After I changed over to the rudder craft rudder I had steering capability at speeds so slow it was hard to tell I was moving.  I'm actually considering spending the 1K to switch over to a ruddercraft rudder again.

Fred

Eddie C

As a previous owner of an Eclipse and also po of an Ida Sailor rudder on a Suncat, IMHO the Eclipse rudder is well designed and performs very well. If steering is poor at very low speed, you might  lower the centerboard a bit. The Ida Sailor rudder was a vast improvement over the flat plate on the Suncat but I suspect you would see little, if any, benefit on the Eclipse.

slode

I agree with Eddie,  The Eclipse rudder is already a foil design and handles, from my experience, very well at low speed.  I can motor around a marina at idle with the outboard locked dead center and make pin point boat length diameter circles.  Board up or down.   I VERY rarely ever turn the outboard at all, the only exception is in a cross wind pushing me away from a dock, I'll go in nose first, then turn it hard to dock side to bring the stern in.  The one issue I did have early on was keeping the rudder locked all the way down.  But my gas strut mod fixed that.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Cpy23ecl

Interesting that others feel the rudder works well.  I wasn't able to turn 180 degrees while waiting for the drawbridge to open without using the outboard in a space that I'm guessing was well over 100' wide.  Once I increased throttle a bit turning was better but with the 6hp sailpro at idle turning without the outboard was very poor. 

I've had the same issue trying to turn into my dock while at idle - I have to use the outboard to steer.  My 23 was the same with the original flat blade rudder, but once I switched to the ruddercraft rudder I could turn into the slip from the narrow channel without touching the outboard unless the wind tried to push me around.

I did have the centerboard up so I'll try with it down next time out.

Thanks

Fred

Bob23

Tell us about your sails Fred. It could be that they are partially blown out or maybe not set correctly. I had the same experience with my 1985 23 when I bought her 14 years ago. She had original sails and the stock flat blade aluminum rudder. What a difference a new suit of sails made! I could cut my tacks in half sailing back to my marina! The next upgrade was to build my own wood sheathed foiled rudder around the stock flat plate and what a difference that made! A bit faster, pointed higher and she tacks through almost every time, unless of course I screw up!!

Bob23

Cpy23ecl

Boat is brand new (2021 model year) and has only been sailed 3 times so far.  First time out had light winds and tried to tack and ended up in irons, the rudder just didn't provide the lift to turn the boat thru the wind.  In light to moderate winds I need to put the helm hard over when tacking to avoid ending up in irons.

My 23 had a blown out main and the flat blade rudder when I bought it.  It would often end up in irons when tacking until I switched to the ruddercraft rudder.  After that I never ended up in irons again.

Fred

slode

Have you tried letting the headsail backwind a bit before letting it over when tacking?  In light winds doing that, AND leaving the main sheet loose, until you're well onto the new course heading, will prevent you from ending up in irons.

Also Putting the helm hard over in a tack can just create drag and slow you down.  It's better to bear off a bit and gain speed before a tack, then a nice gentle curve through he wind to maintain as much speed as possible.

Sailing a beachcat will drive this point home quickly.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Fastdoc98

I agree with Slode on backwinding the jib.  Al taught me that when I went out on Off the Wind and I've been doing it on my own boat ever since.  Pushes the nose over nicely and also prevents the jib lines from hanging up on the mast pin.

Cpy23ecl

Forgot all about backwinding the jib.  I used to do that on my Bayfield 25 years ago.  Thanks for reminding me about that technique.

Fred