a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

PURCHASED: WTB Horizon Cat

Started by sailsup, July 25, 2021, 05:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailsup

Looking to buy a Horizon Cat, preferably with an outboard motor. East cost, but happy to travel for the right boat.

Tim Gardner

Horizon Cat #12, w/ inbd diesel motor, built in 2003, is coming on the market at Smith Mountain Lake near Roanoke VA.  The dealer, Conrad Bros Marine, selling this boat knows nothing about sailboats.  He is having it cleaned an detailed this next week.  I noted when I saw it the mast was down, but the gooseneck was above the hinge not below it as I think(correct me if I am wrong)it should be.  So there may be some damage there.
The Phone Number of the dealer is (540) 721-5017 if you wish to contact them.  Ill take a pic of her in her work clothes later today and post it here

Regards, TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

bruce

Tim,

I for one would love to see a photo of the rig as you describe it. You are right, if the mast was lowered with the boom or gaff gooseneck above the hinge damage would be likely. The goosenecks can't articulate enough, and the long spars would lever the slides out of the track. Typically, the track would be spread near the hinge.

It is repairable, at a wide range of expense, so is a possible way of getting a good discount, whether the clueless marina caused the damage or not.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Tim Gardner

Pic 1 of gaff gooseneck above the hinge
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Tim Gardner

More Pics

bruce

Thanks, Tim.

The slide is distorted a bit, but I don't see significant stress or spreading of the track. What appears to be the first slug, at 45ยบ to the track, doesn't look to be shackled to the sail (?). It's messed up, but I don't see any damage to be concerned about.

Good catch!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI