a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bimini canvas replacement

Started by Renae, April 18, 2021, 11:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renae

The aluminum structure of my bimini is fine, but the canvas is pretty shot.  I'm guessing it's the Suncat/CP-H bimini accessory frame.  It definitely looks like that of other SC owners in the pictures.

Who has replaced their bimini canvas?  Any recommendations?

wes

It's my impression that because every frame and boat are slightly different, most people get new canvas from a local shop who can measure the boat or the old canvas. I used A&J Canvas in Grantsboro, NC. They supply all the canvas to the local Grady-White factory (and individually measure each and every brand new G-W boat). The price was reasonable and they did a nice job. Old School though - don't go looking for a web site, Facebook page or email address. Telephone, or knock on their door.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

crazycarl

I paid for my daughter's plane ticket home from Montana and in return she sewed me a new bimini top using the old one as a pattern.  She also sewed new interior cushions.  I paid for the materials.

If you know someone who sews, or there is a sewing club in your town, that is a good place to start.  You may also try putting up a flyer at a fabric store.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

wes

Good point. The Sailrite web site has a wealth of videos about measuring and sewing your own bimini cover.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Bub

I actually have a Bimini frame for a 2012 SunDay Cat with canvas, in excellent condition, that I never plan to use. I hate to throw it away, thus it adds to the clutter in my garage. If you still need one I?m glad to donate it if you can figure out a cost effective way to handle the shipping. As you can imagine it will take a rather large bulky package. Just let me know. Bub

I should have been clearer. What I have is the Bimini Canvas Top attached to the aluminum Frame. I do not have a zip up cover for the top that several folks have mentioned but the canvas top itself is in very good condition.
Hope that clears things up.
Bub 🇺🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🗽🥃

Bilgemaster

Quote from: Bub on June 15, 2021, 11:03:11 PM
I actually have a Bimini frame for a 2012 SunDay Cat with canvas, in excellent condition, that I never plan to use. I hate to throw it away, thus it adds to the clutter in my garage. If you still need one I?m glad to donate it if you can figure out a cost effective way to handle the shipping. As you can imagine it will take a rather large bulky package. Just let me know. Bub

I'm wondering if you might have a serviceable cover or tonneau. I just pulled the as yet never-used-by-me bimini off my 2001 CP16/3 "Foundling", and while its canvas seems remarkably tip-top, its zip-up cover and a couple of its webbing attachments look like they may have been stored since the Coolidge Administration in a groundhog's lair.

I've tried emailing the manufacturer listed on a tag within, but having no joy with that. Just silence.

I do have a nearby neighbor who does boat canvas work, but if you still have a serviceable cover, maybe it might fit mine?

On a related matter, one reason I've never used the bimini is that I can't get my head around how one might get the mainsail boom to clear it if it were opened. I have no such issue on my Macgregor 26X. I do seem to recall seeing some sort of screw-tightened clamp doodad that fit into the main mast's sail track to hold the boom higher, but never got around to measuring the one that might work for me. So, any guidance would be most welcome.

DanM

I got a replacement for the zip-up Bimini cover ( I forget what they properly call it) from Com-Pac a few years ago. I don't recall what I paid but it was reasonable and easier than finding someone to custom-make it. And it fits right. Give them a call.

crazycarl

Quote from: DanM on June 20, 2021, 09:20:18 AM
I got a replacement for the zip-up Bimini cover ( I forget what they properly call it) from Com-Pac a few years ago. I don't recall what I paid but it was reasonable and easier than finding someone to custom-make it. And it fits right. Give them a call.

A "boot"
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bilgemaster

Thanks! I'll give Hutchins a holler about a replacement cover.

Renae

I talked to CPH last week, seeing if they did replacement canvas.  They did not.  Knowing that they outsourced the bimini work, I asked who they used, hoping to get a new bimini made to fit the Suncat bimini frame.  They said, "we have a supplier in St. Petersburg."  Crickets afterward, and no response when I asked who it was.

I asked how he thought I, a long way from St. Petersburg, should proceed.  I was told to find someone to make a new cover locally or else I could buy the whole thing, frame and all, from them for $600+.

Cpy23ecl

I bought the bimini option with my new eclipse.  Next time I go to the boat I can look at the tag and let you know who made it.  That said I suggest going with a local canvas shop.  While quality of work is excellent on mine, the fit is terrible, no way to get it to stretch taut everywhere.  No matter how I adjust it I'm left with large wrinkles.

Fred

Bob23

Renae. I would think any good canvas shop would be willing to measure your frame and make you a new one. Can the old one be used as a pattern? Down here in NJ, canvas shops are plentiful most good, some not so some researching may be in order before you proceed.

My boat cover guy even drove 1 hour from his shop to measure for a winter cover for my 15' CLC Skerry, a rowing and sailing dingy and it fit perfectly. Let me know how this works for you!

Bob23

Cpy23ecl

I was up to the boat today and checked the bimini.  There is a tag but it doesn't have the makers name on it.

Sorry.

Fred

Renae

No worries, Fred.  Thanks for looking.

Bub

See my modified comments above
Bub