a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Keel bunk

Started by Cpy23ecl, April 02, 2021, 05:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpy23ecl

I was working on replacing the fenders on my new eclipse trailer (fenders were mounted to close to the tires and the tires would rub the fender on bumps in the road) and I noticed that the keel bunk sags an estimated 3/4 to 1" between the axle and the rear cross member of the trailer.

Any one else see a sagging keel bunk on their trailer?  Just wondering if this is going to be a problem.

Thanks

Fred

Renae

Should be easy enough to adjust the bunks to where they need to be.

I've replaced one that rotted out for my SC.

Cpy23ecl

Not really adjustable as the sag is in the center of the bunk between the cross member by the axle and the rear cross member and there is no support in the area of the sag.

Fred

Mike K

I see sagging on my trailer too, which makes sense. It's only a 1 3/4 piece of wood down there with a lot of boat weight on it. I guess it's mainly supporting the keel at the trailer crossmembers, and the wood is just deflecting out of the way between the supports. Not sure this is a problem, but I'll keep checking it.
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

Cpy23ecl

Thanks Mike

I agree that's it's not surprising.  My concern is that the boat isn't being properly supported by the keel and putting undue pressure on the hull by the hull bunks.  I'd feel a lot better without the sag but not sure how to get rid of it at this point.  A bit disappointing in a brand new boat and trailer.

Fred

Renae

Put a new bunk on?  It's a couple hour job including the carpeting.

I get that it shouldn't be that way and your frustration about that, but sailboats are fiberglass, dacron, and an endless to-do list. :P

alsantini

Fred.  I am not sure I understand the problem?  The bunk between supports should deflect a bit based on the weight of the boat.  I am positive that my keel rests on the bunk the entire length on the keel.  If yours does not support the keel completely and has gaps where there is space between the bunk and the keel, then that is a problem.  With the boat completely off the trailer, I can see an outline of the keep all along the bunk carpet so I know it is being supported.  I wonder if the bunk has not warped since it was new and changes in its shape would probably take place early.  It is a simple process to change out a bunk as I have done it to both my hull support bunks.  One cracked and the other warped over the years.  As far as I know the weight of the keel is carried by the keel bunk and the bunk needs to be straight so it can spread out the weight and eliminate the boat from rocking fore and aft on the trailer.  When I bought my boat there was too much weight on the hull bunks.  All of the technical books that I read called for the hull bunks to prevent the boat from tipping with the weight carried by the keel bunk.  I lowered the hull bunks until they supported the boat side to side.  I have put around 25,000 miles since adjusting the bunks with no problems, except for cheap replacement tires.  Hope this helps.  Sail on        Al

Cpy23ecl

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I took a closer look at it yesterday and I think there's a chance that the bottom of the keel isn't perfectly straight and the bunk is matching the keel contour.  When I placed a light so that it was pointing at the bunk and keel interface and looked at it from the opposite side I could not see any light between the keel and bunk so that makes me think the keel is likely to be supporting the weight of the boat as it should.

Also I don't see any obvious oil-canning on the hull at the hull bunks which also indicates the keel is supporting the weight of the boat.

BTW the keel bunk is not covered with carpet.  There's some sort of plastic "cap" with ridges.  I've never run across this kind of covering, only carpet or rollers.  My guess is that the keel will slide more easily on this type of bunk cover.

Fred

slode

Quote from: Cpy23ecl on April 05, 2021, 06:25:40 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I took a closer look at it yesterday and I think there's a chance that the bottom of the keel isn't perfectly straight and the bunk is matching the keel contour.  When I placed a light so that it was pointing at the bunk and keel interface and looked at it from the opposite side I could not see any light between the keel and bunk so that makes me think the keel is likely to be supporting the weight of the boat as it should.

Also I don't see any obvious oil-canning on the hull at the hull bunks which also indicates the keel is supporting the weight of the boat.

BTW the keel bunk is not covered with carpet.  There's some sort of plastic "cap" with ridges.  I've never run across this kind of covering, only carpet or rollers.  My guess is that the keel will slide more easily on this type of bunk cover.

Fred

That's interesting.  Any chance you can post a picture showing what the bunk is covered with?  One of the items on the to do list for this spring is to make up a new keel bunk board for my trailer, and bring with me to the lake so I can install it with the boat in the water.  My current board is getting pretty rotten.  I was planning on carpet, but if there is an alternative that will provide a bit easier loading I may want to consider.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Andre

My Magic Tilt trailer for my Horizon Cat purchased new 4 years ago directly from Hutchins also has the same grey ridged plastic covering on the keel board.  I'm guessing that either Magic Tilt or Hutchins now specify this as the covering, maybe on the heavier boats? The side bunks on mine are still carpeted.

Andre

PS - ignore the underscores, I can't seem to be able to get rid of them

Andre

Ignore my PS, the underscores disappeared!

Cpy23ecl

Here are a pic of the keel bunk covering and the sag in the keel bunk

Fred

Fastdoc98

I looked at mine at the end of the 2019 season and mine had a far more significant bowing than yours.  When I crawled underneath I found that the board had cracked right where there was a knot in the wood, so beginning of last season I got some replacement lumber and pulled that plastic covering off and put on the new board.  It has a tiny bit of sag, but I thing that's in relation to where the keel contacts the board and where the board gets support.