a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Solar panel

Started by Cpy23ecl, March 02, 2021, 09:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpy23ecl

Anyone using a solar panel to keep your battery charged?  If so where did you mount it?  My bow will be facing north when in my slip and I'm trying to decide where to mount and then the best way to run the cable to the battery.  My solar panel is 7 x 11 inches.

Thx.

Fred

Floridagent

I have a similar-sized panel.  I just lay it on deck.  In any case I wouldn't mount it— wherever you put it it will get in the way sometime.  BTW — it hasn't been blown overboard despite our Florida gales!  You may want to mount it on a block of wood to give it more weight.  Maybe think of using  Velcro to secure it.  Good luck!
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

alsantini

I have a flexible panel that I strap to the boom.   With the boat in the slip I face East so the starboard side of the boom faces South.  Based on the time of the year I face it to the sun.  Seems to function well.

Cpy23ecl

I'm curious as to how you guys run the wiring to connect to the battery.  With my 23 there were openings in the locker bulkheads for the cables for the electric start outboard that I could route the solar panel wiring through and I just laid the solar panel on the seat/gas tank cover at the 23's stern. 

I'm thinking I might use one of these mounted on the stern on the port side and just cut off the existing plugs that came with the solar panel.  Just wondering if I missed an existing path or if I'm overlooking a simpler approach.

https://www.amazon.com/Perko-1190DP0CHR-Marine-Watertight-Connection/dp/B00144B67C

Thanks

Fred

alsantini

Mine install is totally temporary.  I run the wires from the boom through the cockpit under the port lazarette lid.  I have a two foot jumper in the lazarette that connects to the panel wires, close the lid and walk away.  Unfortunately it would not work while sailing, since it is strapped to the boom and sail cover.  It has functioned well for over 20 years on two different boats.

Floridagent

Mine is temporary as well.  The Sunday Cat only has a canvas cover on the hatch.  So, I simply route the wires that came with the panel under the cover, between two snaps, and clip it on the battery poles.  Easy peasy!
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

Cpy23ecl

Thanks for the replies.  I plan to have the panel mount be temporary but would like to do something more permanent for the battery connection.  Going to have to give this some more thought.

Fred

Jim in TC

Quote from: Cpy23ecl on March 04, 2021, 08:51:49 AM
Thanks for the replies.  I plan to have the panel mount be temporary but would like to do something more permanent for the battery connection.  Going to have to give this some more thought.

Fred

If you install a plug/jack system on the battery and panel it will be really simple to plug a panel up and remove. A good polarizing disconnect can be left connected as long as you want. Back in the day when our house was off the grid, temporary connections for a variety of equipment was common and my favored setup can be seen here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057ZQJ12/?coliid=I3HWT38XDD15Q&colid=2QJNWY86NSCGO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

alsantini

Fred.   One final consideration is the connector you have pictured or linked.  It would be very easy to try and insert it reverse polarity.  A better choice would be a true polarized connector that cannot be touched reverse polarity.  Some panels might not like the reverse polarity.  Just thinking out loud....  Sail On    Al

Jim in TC

Quote from: alsantini on March 04, 2021, 10:50:01 AM
Fred.   One final consideration is the connector you have pictured or linked.  It would be very easy to try and insert it reverse polarity.  A better choice would be a true polarized connector that cannot be touched reverse polarity.  Some panels might not like the reverse polarity.  Just thinking out loud....  Sail On    Al

Gotta keep track of your reds and blacks/positives and negatives when setting it up, but once properly wired there is only one way to couple. I don't know how panels would react to reverse polarity but generally things go badly, usually sooner than later, if you get it wrong.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Cpy23ecl

Al,

The pins are different diameters so you can only insert the plug one way.  The only thing I need to check if I get one is to make sure that no connectivity is made if you try to insert the wrong way.  If the chamfer on the pins is big enough and the receptacle isn't deep enough there might be a chance for a connection to be made even though you can't insert the wrong way.

Fred

alsantini

Fred.  The pic shows that one could try to push together with wrong polarity but would be unable to completely plug it in.  However, the copper in the female part of the connector is right at the top of the opening.  I think it would be really easy to momentarily touch the terminals with reverse polarity.  I use a simple plug with one male and one female in each half of the connector.  So, visually one can immediately see how it goes together.  On the battery side the plus is recessed and the minus is exposed, so it cannot make contact and short out the battery.  Simple and effective but not fancy.

Andre

FYI...

The connector that Jim posted a link to and that I think Al is referring to, is what Com-Pac used at the mast hinge on my Horizon Cat to power the anchor and steaming lights. It's worked well so far and is fool-proof although I don't think the wires are tinned marine grade.

Andre