a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Heaving-To

Started by Brent65, January 04, 2021, 06:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent65

All sailboats heave-to a little differently.  How you describe setting up an Eclipse for heaving-to?

alsantini

Based on wind speed of course, but tack and do not bring the genoa over to the correct side.  Watch the chart plotter and when the speed drops to or near zero, lock the tiller in that position.  You will feel a bit of a drift to port, drift to starboard.  The hardest thing is to determine rudder position it is usually around a 45 degree angle or less to get the boat stopped or really slowed down.  This maneuver is best done after practice since each boat is slightly different.  Sail on,  Al

slode

Couple points beyond what Al said. 

Rudder should be turning the boat back into the wind to hold the position.  Not really necessary to keep track of speed, just crank the rudder back over once you're well past head to wind.  She may move forward but will come to rest once she's fighting the headwind.  You're more or less putting the boat in irons and then letting the wind push it back a bit closer to a close reach position by not letting the head sail over.  Instead of generating lift the wind will just push sails and she'll drift slowly downwind.   I've found strapping the tiller to the gallows is a good position for the rudder.  Especially If you don't have a tiller clutch or other way to lock rudder position.

You can use the main to fine tune boat position and how well it settles in.  You'll want to let a bit of traveler or mainsheet out.  I've found if you keep the main in too much any hard wind shift to forward can push her past head to wind.  Too much out and she'll go to a broad reach position.

It'll behave best with as much sail out as appropriate for conditions.  Trying to get her steady with full sails in 20+ knot gust, while doable, is a bit unnerving.  She'll settle in nice in any conditions with a reef on the main and 2/3 of the genoa out.  In any case don't have more genoa out than main or the bow will push too far downwind.   Just remember that wind pushing straight on the sails is creating WAY less healing force than the lift generated when sailing close hauled.  A hard gust when heaved to will come nowhere close to knocking her over unless you're in hurricane conditions.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Fastdoc98

For me, in addition to the above, I find that I have to physically push the main out far enough that it settles in.  I've had times where there's enough friction in all the pulleys that the main didn't swing out far enough and it falls off too easily.