a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

My ship has come in

Started by Cpy23ecl, November 22, 2020, 08:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpy23ecl

Had a pleasant surprise late yesterday morning.  My eclipse arrived at the dealer and was ready for pickup.

Scrambled to get the insurance setup and then made the 5 hr drive up and back and she's now sitting in my pole barn.  Didn't have time to go through mast raising with the dealer as I didn't want to drive home in the dark (don't see as well at night as I used to) so I expect I may have a few questions the first time I rig her.

I had the factory order a modified trailer with bigger tires (13" instead of the standard 10") with a higher load rating and hydraulic surge disc brakes.  Tows very well and no push from the trailer even when braking hard.  Learned that besides the standard 7 pin travel trailer and 4 pin boat/utility trailer plugs there is also a 5 pin plug for trailers with surge brakes that will automatically disable the surge brake when backing up.  Had never run across that until now.  My 23 trailer had a manual lever that you needed to flip before backing up.  Luckily the dealer had a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter that he loaned me so at least I had lights for the trip home.

Now just a matter of waiting 5 months for sailing weather but gives me plenty of time to treat the teak and add equipment without cutting into sailing time.  It's going to be a long 5 months.....

Fred

crazycarl

Congratulations!  I hope your winter is short and stock up on boat wax.  ;D
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

alsantini

Fred.  Wonderful.  You have my number when you start rigging and have questions.  I have only had one new boat - A Zuma many years ago (actually 8 boats ago).  Have you decided on what you will do with the teak?  Also, what hull number is your boat?  I am trying to keep track of actual boats.  Mine is #49.  I would expect yours to be in the 90's.  Since my #49 is 2007, they sure are not making a ton of these great boats.
Enjoy buddy.  Let's talk Eclipse soon....  Al

Cpy23ecl

Thanks guys.  Hull nbr is 93.  This is my first new boat and the 8th big boat and 10th if you include small boats like kayaks and sunfish.  From what I heard they've built at least 4 eclipses since this summer.  Gerry told me this has been the busiest they've been in 10 years.

Still thinking about the teak but pretty sure I'm going to use Sikkens Cetol Natural.  I love the look of a good spar varnish but am not willing to put in the effort to keep it looking good.  I've used teak oil on my first bigger boat but it just didn't last.  What do you guys use?

Oh, and I have plenty of wax left from the compac 23 I just sold earlier this summer.

Fred

Roland of Macatawa

Congratulations!

(I presume your purchased was handled by Rob.)

Regards, Roland
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

alsantini

Fred.  I have used Semco since I bought the boat 6 years ago.  PO had never done anything with the teak, so I cleaned it with WM Teak Cleaner.  Talked to a buddy of mine in FL and he recommended I try Semco Natural.  First go I did two coats on clean and dry teak.  Now twice a year, I re-coat.  Takes about an hour.  Stuff is like really thin and soaks in like now!  It last all summer in the slip in northern Illinois and second coat is in FL where it sits in the sun for 6 months.  So far so good.  Teak looks decent and natural.  I buy it at WM.  Sail On    Al

Cpy23ecl

Quote from: Roland of Macatawa on November 23, 2020, 12:42:21 PM
Congratulations!

(I presume your purchased was handled by Rob.)

Regards, Roland

Thanks.  Yes the boat was purchased from Rob.  Great guy to do business with, very helpful during the entire process.

Fred

Cpy23ecl

Quote from: alsantini on November 23, 2020, 03:21:53 PM
Fred.  I have used Semco since I bought the boat 6 years ago.  PO had never done anything with the teak, so I cleaned it with WM Teak Cleaner.  Talked to a buddy of mine in FL and he recommended I try Semco Natural.  First go I did two coats on clean and dry teak.  Now twice a year, I re-coat.  Takes about an hour.  Stuff is like really thin and soaks in like now!  It last all summer in the slip in northern Illinois and second coat is in FL where it sits in the sun for 6 months.  So far so good.  Teak looks decent and natural.  I buy it at WM.  Sail On    Al

Thanks Al.  Semco was the other teak treatment I am considering.

Fred

Roland of Macatawa

Quote from: Cpy23ecl on November 24, 2020, 06:46:19 AM
Thanks.  Yes the boat was purchased from Rob.  Great guy to do business with, very helpful during the entire process.

Fred

Fred,

The purchase, three years ago, of my slightly used 2012 SunDayCat was brokered through Rob.
And yes, he was then and still is very helpful.

Regards, Roland
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'