a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Companionway dropboard

Started by konstan, November 01, 2020, 08:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

konstan

Does anyone have dimensions for cutting a companionway dropboard? I heard that Hutchens only sells the plastic ones now. I want plywood...

Gerry

Why plywood?  Wouldn't glued, stained and varnished hardwood look better.  I even put a decal of a compass rose on mine to dress it up.  I also suggest a two piece drop board.  You can leave in the bottom board while sailing.  Use cardboard to made a template...then make your own drop board.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

DanM

When the previous (and first) owner bought our SunCat, it came with the plastic drop boards, but he also ordered the teak plywood ones, which is what he used. We did too, for a few years. Then one day I put in the plastic ones and never went back. Yes, the plywood ones certainly dress up the boat, but esthetics be damned, the plastic ones are lighter and easier to handle and you don't have to worry about the latch hardware scratching the finish when you toss them down into the cabin. I like the look of the wood ones, but heck, the whole boat is plastic anyway.....

konstan

Plywood or hardwood, whatever I can make. I know I can always fall back on what I can order from Hutchens. I want to do more than just swap parts (made by someone else) though.

Bob23

Gents:
  I have my original teak veneered plywood boards for my 1985 23 safely stored away for that dreadful but inevitible time when I'd have to sell the boat. But for everyday use, I bought 1/2" birch plywood from Home Depot, painted all sides and edges with Interlux Brightsides paint in Bristol Beige to match the color of some of the other exterior details on the boat. I did use the proper primer and they've held up well for 8 or 9 years now...one looses count of such things after a while.

Not selling for a long time. After 14 years, we're still in love!

Cheers! Bob23 from the South of New Jersey!

konstan

Ok so we have the 1st dimension ? thickness - 1/2 inch

Bob23

Kon:
  Is your boat nearby? You should be able to get some measurements from space where it will fit. Make a few test templates out of cardboard, if that works for you. Of course, the mating surfaces should have a weather cut, that is cut on a 45 degree angle to shed water.

Bob23

konstan

Cardboard template is a great idea; yea the boat is  60 feet away in the garage... Thanks!