a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Auto Pilot for Horizon

Started by CaptRon28, October 23, 2020, 11:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptRon28

I single-hand a lot have wanted to do this for a few years. Working the two halyards and controlling the boat at the same time has always been a problem. Picked up from Defender one of the new Raymarine Evolution EV100 Wheel Pilot Systems and will install it within the next 2 weeks.

Package comes with a pedestal style mount. Didn't realize that I also needed their E15017 Bulkhead/Box kit to mount it so I just ordered it. Figured that the standard wood wheel would be a major problem (true) so I got an 18 inch 5 spoke stainless Destroyer wheel. Got the kit and mounted the wheel drive to the new wheel but can't do much more till I get the mounting kit. I think it's going to work. I'll post the results and some photo's when it's finished.

Defender has the EV100 for a good price and Raymarine has a $250 rebate (good till Nov 1).
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

wes

I have installed the same unit on my 27. Very pleased with it, although I went back later and installed the optional rudder position sensor, which isn't included in the basic package but is "strongly recommended" by Raymarine and several bloggers including RC at Compass Marine. It definitely reduces excessive autopilot "hunting," especially in a heavy swell or following seas. $222 from Defender.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

mdueweke

Greetings Capt. Ron
Did you complete the autohelm for your HC?
I too have a HC, hull no 22 and thinking about doing the same. I have the wooden wheel, however.
I have had the boat 8 seasons now and keep her in a well for 6 months a year. She's a great boat.

CaptRon28

I don't think the pilot will work with the spoked wooden wheel.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"