a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Closing in on a goal

Started by Renae, October 12, 2020, 03:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renae

This is season 2 on my Suncat.  I didn't track my time well last year, but I estimate 50-60 sailing hours for 2019.  I'm at 69.25 so far this season, still hoping to hit 75.  My goal for next year is 100 hours, which I think is probably the most I can pull off as a trailer sailor (with a nearly full time job).  If I ever get a permanent slip, I'd look to double that.

Last year was good learning; this year good sailing.  I hadn't sailed a keelboat prior to last season, and I self-taught from mostly windsurfing experience.  I was a bit nervous about going out most of the time.  Now I have developed rigging routines which make it (nearly) automatic and reliable.  It's a great feeling.

A couple of more years gaining chops on inland lakes, then I hope to find a retirement boat that could be if not a live aboard, a stay aboard sort of boat.  Sailing the Suncat makes me appreciate certain things--stability, reliability, closeness to the elements--and realize that I am uninterested in others--speed and ocean-crossing capabilities. 

Other than a slight but manageable reluctance to weather, it's a truly fine boat.

Bob23

Congratulations Renae!!
   It sounds like you and your boat are getting well acquainted with each other! In the past, I've tried to track my sailing hours and days and then fell into forgetfulness and just tried to enjoy each hour on the water.

I love the Suncats and had the chance to sail aboard one at a past CLR. If I ever downsized from my old 1985 23, a Suncat would be at or near the top of the list of boats I'd want to replace it with. But after 14 years of owning my 23, I'm still learning and I do like the weight and size of the boat and her ability to handle really high winds, should I be dumb enough to get caught out, which I have!

Like you, other than maybe dreaming of crossing oceans, I realize I won't be and am quite content at that. The 23 isn't a Ferrari and doesn't point all that high but she's no barge either! I've passed boats much bigger than mine and while I don't understand it, I'm happy to live life at 5 to 6 knots.

Here in NJ, sailing season is winding down... I'm hoping to stay in till the beginning of November then it's out of the water and into her winter jammies for my little Koinoina!

Best,
Bob23

rogerschwake

Glad to hear you are getting along so good with your new to you, my former Sun Cat. Sailing to me is a continues learning experian no matter how long you sail. And like you said it lets you get away from everything. Sound like your getting along great with the Sun Cat. By the way Bob, Renae boat is the one you sailed on at that CLR.

ROGER

Christopher

Hey Roger,
  I was reminiscencing about our trip up to the North Channel with you and Carl while out sailing my Suncat this last Thursday and Friday at a local lake.  We had a couple of very nice days here in Ohio so I took the Suncat out sailing and then found a nice sandy beach in a cove to spend the night .  Got up and sailed some more Friday.  I hadn't beached the boat since we were together beaching on some of those islands up there.

Christopher

One more pic

Renae

Earlier this week I was thumbing through Roger's charts of the North Channel, piecing together some of that trip through the times, squiggles and circles in pencil and (barely visible) green highlighter.  It looks like a marvelous time, but a lot has changed since then.

rogerschwake

The North Chanel of Lake Huron is the best sailing in the upper part of the mid-west. Lots of wide open water with no big cities. More anchoring than could ever get crowded. A few small villages to shake the kinks out of your legs and get a hot shower and something other than boat grub. I'm hoping to get back as soon as possible. If anyone is thinking about some where to go plan at least two weeks if possible. Sorry about going on but it's the best sailing I've ever done.

ROGER

Renae

Did the Rob Roy get much use this summer?  I imagine you probably have a slip somewhere, as it looks a lot more difficult to trailer.

rogerschwake

Thanks for asking, I only sailed six or seven days. Way to few for a retired guy. Spent two night aboard and had rain in the morning and no wind in the after noon. Had fourteen miles to motor back to the boat ramp. That auto pilot is a great help when this happens, are you using yours. Sure do miss the easy set up of the Sun Cat, takes me about an hour to set up and get in the water. Went out yesterday and cleared some snow off the boat and took the main sail in to replace the slugs. Boats are like a second wife, always have something that needs doing. Hope every thing is going good for everyone out there, I'm not going in to hibernation yet I hope.

ROGER

Renae

I've used the Simrad once, and never actually read any documentation, so I'm sure I only scratched the surface of what it can do.  At this point, I'm strictly daysailing, and just locking the tiller is more than sufficient to buy me enough time to do whatever else needs doing.

Forecast is improving through the weekend though.  Mid-fifties on Tuesday.  Barring any residual icebergs from this weekend, I should get one or two more sails in.