a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

DIY Roller Furler

Started by Gerry, September 25, 2020, 08:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerry

I would liker comments on my attempt add a DIY roller furler to my CP16.  I am 72 and do not want to leave the cockpit.  This is what I did...IN MY DRIVEWAY:
     1. Ideas from You Tube.  This is a composite of videos.
     2. Used 3/4" PVC over the guide wire and attached the hanks to the wire.  Would 1" PVC roll smoother?
     3. In order to clear the fore stay, I added a "bow sprit" out of aluminum.  I did not want to use the fore stay so I can still hank  on a jib if desired.  I
          used an old genoa for the sake of experimentation.
Works in the driveway.  Water test will have to wait for next spring as I sail in Door County, Wi.
Comments, ideas, criticism, questions?

Gerry
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Tim Gardner

Gerry, Not sure your hook instead of an eye is sufficient for the lower connection.  Plus, you'll have to furl and unfurl every time you tack.

Just saying,

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Gerry

You are correct.  I already replaced to hook with a "U" bolt.  Had trouble finding one made of SS.  I am hoping that the 6-8" between the two stays is enough to let the sail pass through.  This old sail in made of light material.  If it doesn't pass through, I can reduce the clearance to a two inches and roller over the fore stay on one tack.  Theory...practice???

Thanks for observations.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16