a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Motor tilting line

Started by bruce, September 19, 2020, 04:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce

Here's a simple mod that I doubt many will be tempted by, but it works great and gives the underworked boom gallows something else to do.

The weight distribution of electric outboards with integral battery packs, like the Torqeedo 1003 and Spirit 1.0, isn't like small gas outboards. The batteries account for 50% of the total weight of the motor and are located in the oversized head at the back. For tilting, the issue was the balance of the motor is well aft, it's a bit of a reach to grab the handle provided, and when tilted the heavy battery pack, now at the top of the arc, causes the head to pivot unexpectedly, possibly causing damage. A pendant that could help lift the back of the motor could be useful.

At first I considered running a line to a block hung from the gallows, but I saw the leverage was even better if I went over the gallows. I made up a fairlead out of 1 1/2" StarBoard, a slippery plastic, that slips over the gallows. A solid saddle with cheeks that extend below and hold the fairlead snuggly in place. The boom or mast can still rest on the fairlead if desired. The line run is a full 3/4" radius, a nice gradual turn. I made up the pendant out of 3/16" Dyneema. The diamond knot didn't have the presence I wanted, so I turned a drop pull, and added a lead weight so it hung better. When it's time to tilt the motor, and lower it back down, I have good control from the cockpit without a long awkward reach. It does look like I'm ringing for the butler. ;D
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

I, for one, am tempted. This has the added advantage of preventing the motor (Torqueedo in our case) from flopping over (for which I have a clip and line that I attach to the battery handle, if it looks like a feisty sail).
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Renae

Impressive workmanship as always.

I think I'm just going to stick to pinning my eProp straight in all but the tightest of circumstances.  I have long enough arms that reaching back to tilt the motor is not an issue.  Spontaneous rotation of the motor definitely is.

I can confirm that Spirit Plus motors have a more durable connnection to battery, but so far there is no Spirit Plus in the remote configuration--only the tiller version which probably won't work for most of us.