a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Dinghy/Inflatable??

Started by Indootime, August 12, 2020, 10:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indootime

I'm new to the site and just about to buy my 1st Com-Pac.  Hopefully Saturday I will be posting a pic of a new to me 87 Com-Pac 23.   My big question is if I can fit a small inflatable between the mast and the bow.  I use to do it on my bigger boat and liked not having to inflate all the time.  In norther Michigan we have some beautiful cruising grounds but they are heavy rock and deep water so even though the 23 draws very little water I still need to motor to shore.  I have a lead on a brand new old stock West Marine RU 250, and I hate to pass it up so I may actually buy it before the the CP-23. 

Thanks in advance and any pics would be great!

jfair1954

A dinghy is a big piece of furniture between your mast and your bow when moving headsail...dont you prefer towing it ?

Indootime

On a long rough passage and an already slow boat, I would rather have it on deck.

Bob23

I don't find my 23/2 slow at all...but that's just me and my limited perspective! I tow a Walker Bay 8 and yes, I can feel the drag but deck space for me is a premium. Cam you lay the inflatable crosswise on the deck, somehow above the lifelines?

Indoo: welcome to the site! and I'm sure you'll love your 23.  I've had mine for 14 years now and each summer she seems to get a bit faster. Or maybe I'm getting slower!!

Cheers!! Bob23

Indootime

HeaveToo

Get a hard dinghy, tow it, and don't look back.  I didn't drop much speed when I did this.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

curtisv

I've also tow a hard dinghy from a CP-23 and had mixed results.  When it gets rough the dinghy keeps flipping in the waves.  Been out in 6-8 foot waves and spent a lot of time righting the dinghy but will flip in much smaller waves.  Flipped the dink in the Atlantic and in Nantucket Sound and Block Island Sound.  Lake Michigan can get rough so you might find yourself doing the same.

Definitely not enough room for a hard dinghy on the CP-23 foredeck.  The rolled up inflatable should fit fine but I don't know for sure.  What were the dimensions of the bag?  This would mean reinflating and that takes time.

If you can get away with a hard dinghy its best.  Also much more rowable.

There are also nesting 2 part or 3 part dinks but mostly larger than needed and expensive to insanely expensive or kits or plans which can be scaled to size.  I've considered these but haven't found the time to build from kit or plans.  Nesting may be the best solution but it seems to be hard to pull off without spending a lot of either time or money.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access