a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

wet bilge question?

Started by Garyandjoanlee, August 02, 2020, 06:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garyandjoanlee

Oh where oh where does this water come from...  New this year! Water in my bilge. Not a lo. t Bilge pump has never activated. At worst it took 1 towel to mop it up, but ....water, inside my CP16 ll... anyone have any idea where this may be coming from? The only clue might be that water seems to acculuminate on the inside mattress platform at the port side hull. Might not have had the front top hatch fully closed - I don't know, but would appreciate places to take a closer look at?
Thanks
Gary Lee
Tenants Harbor, Maine
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

In The Pocket

I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's coming from your hull/deck joint, if you see it accumulating on the berth area.  I had this issue with my new CP16.  Unfortunately it requires removing the rub rail, scraping out the old 5200 and reapplying new 5200.  I did two layers (one to fill larger voids and a second to smooth it all out and seal everything I could. I even put 5200 around the rivets as I'm almost certain water was getting in those too.  One other possibility, is that it's coming from the shroud chainplates.  Check those for leakage before doing the whole rubrail.  I was able to work 5200 in the cracks around my chain plates on both starboard and port sides and then even wedged in some butyl tape in larger areas that might have leaked.  Good luck

Garyandjoanlee

Thanks Pocket!  At least that gives me a new place to test out and zero in on. You may be right. How do you remove he rub rail?
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

In The Pocket

Quote from: Garyandjoanlee on August 04, 2020, 06:32:52 AM
Thanks Pocket!  At least that gives me a new place to test out and zero in on. You may be right. How do you remove he rub rail?

Removing it is easy.  It?s getting it back on that sucks.  Basically all you do is remove the screws on the three end caps and you?ll have to drill out 6 rivets holding the rub rails on also.  Use a 3/16 drill bit and replace the rivets with #10 screws and nuts.  I?d test the rails for leaking with a hose before undertaking just to be sure

Garyandjoanlee

I have no doubt you are right!  Big thanks.
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

LazyDog

Recaulk the stay plates. I had lots of rain coming in there and it took me some time to figure it out.