a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

outboard motor for the Sun Cat

Started by birdwatcher, July 24, 2020, 01:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdwatcher

I have a new Sun Cat on order and was debating between getting a Tohatsu 6HP sail pro 20" or the 25".  Does anyone have experience with the 20" and/or the 25"? My thinking on the 25 - under normal conditions the motor could be higher up making the controls easier to reach. In rough seas it could be lowered ensuring the prop stays in the water.   My concern about the 25" is when under sail can it be tilted enough to clear the water. Thanks for any advice.

Bob23

Hi Birdman!

While I don't have a Suncat, I do have a Tohatsu 6 sailpro on my 1985 23 and on that boat, it works just fine. Plenty of power to push her to hull speed at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. Will you have an adjustable outboard bracket on your boat? I do, and this year I built a packout to push it away from the transom about 1 1/2". That really helped keep the motor clear of the transom when tilting the motor. I chose the 25" to avoid cavitation in choppy water. Most likely the 23's transom is higher than the SunCat but I couldn't tell you by how much.

Best to you...write back and stay in touch. I love the Suncats. A while back I was thinking of downsized from my 23 to a Suncat. But my 23 has been so good to me, I couldn't bring myself to do it!

Bob23

Jon898

I'd be more concerned about hanging over 60lbs cantilevered out from the transom and what that will do to the trim.  The very least you'll get is the cockpit drains submerging, in addition to dragging the stern while sailing.  First thing to do IMHO would be to talk to Gerry at the factory for recommendations...6hp for a 1500# 15 ft LWL boat is serious overkill.

Jon

Jim in TC

Quote from: Jon898 on July 26, 2020, 07:59:08 AM
I'd be more concerned about hanging over 60lbs cantilevered out from the transom and what that will do to the trim.  The very least you'll get is the cockpit drains submerging, in addition to dragging the stern while sailing.  First thing to do IMHO would be to talk to Gerry at the factory for recommendations...6hp for a 1500# 15 ft LWL boat is serious overkill.

Jon

+1 on this advice...our Torqueedo electric is 3 hp equivalent and does quite well on the Sun.

As to shaft length, my instincts suggest longer, even if it hits the water a bit tipped up. Ours is long at 28" and in big chop we will get some cavitation when the weight is forward (messing with the sail cover or clearing a problem at the mast, for example). I have not found, as I had hoped, that I am comfortable changing the adjustable motor mount while out and about. That may just be me, or the particular design of our mount.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Bristol14

Bob, I?ve been thinking about using something to push my 9.9 Yamaha out a few inches on my ?23 for the same reason. What did you use for your extender and what does it look like?

Thx.
Paul

birdwatcher

Thank you all for you ideas. The engine size and weight between the 4HP and the 6HP is almost the same. In fact the CCs are the same, they just put a different carb. on the 6HP. I have to drop to a 3.5 HP to get down to about 43 LB. As I will be sailing on Lake Michigan  chop and a fast return to port are important and I fear 3.5HP may be too small. I will be calling Gerry at Com Pac to get his insights. Very much welcome any other thoughts and ideas. Thanks again, Randy

Bob23

Hi Paul....aka Bristol 14.   

The packout is made of 2 layers of 3/4" Versatex which is a pvc building product. I'm a building contractor and we usually have some waste around. I glued it together with Christy's pvc adhesive, painted in with Brightsides paint Bristol Beige and set it in white butyl tape. I'll try to get a photo and email it to you.
  As an aside, I was looking at your profile. I was up in Marion in March looking at a Flicka for sale. What a lovely town, my first time seeing Buzzards Bay. I had the best oysters ever at Turks!

Cheers!
Bob23

Bristol14

Thx Bob, looking forward to the photos.

Marion indeed is a special place. It?s small town America at its finest. Buzzards Bay is a great sailing spot with 10-15-20 kt southwest prevailing winds for the spring through the fall.

We get to the Toms River area several times of the year as my wife has family at Leisure Village West and in Manahawkin. I?ve thought it might be fun to time a visit with one of your groups ?bashes,? but I guess it will have to be post-Covid.
Paul

Bob23

Hi Paul.
    Why, I live in Manahawkin! And Toms River is 20 minutes north. Please do drop me a text when you're down here next and we'll get together somehow. I'll include my mobile number when I email you the photo. Hopefully I'll actually remember in the next day or so.

The Flicka is still for sail so it's a possibility that we may travel up to see her once again. I've wanted one of these for years and this one is perfect. When we were there in March, I would've signed the deal except I needed to hear the diesel run. I was planning another trip up  a few weeks later then the travel bans started and the rest is history.

Stay well. Covid is on the decline around here, despite what the news may say.
Bob23

Jim in TC

Quote from: birdwatcher on July 26, 2020, 02:29:03 PM
Thank you all for you ideas. The engine size and weight between the 4HP and the 6HP is almost the same. In fact the CCs are the same, they just put a different carb. on the 6HP. I have to drop to a 3.5 HP to get down to about 43 LB. As I will be sailing on Lake Michigan  chop and a fast return to port are important and I fear 3.5HP may be too small. I will be calling Gerry at Com Pac to get his insights. Very much welcome any other thoughts and ideas. Thanks again, Randy

Very interesting that these motors are so similar in weight between 4 and 6 hp. I will be interested in what you learn from Gerry. Just as a data point, our 3 hp equivalent electric will push the Sun at around 5+mph at full throttle, reduced of course in serious headwinds or chop on Grand Traverse Bay. I used to figure that hull speed for these is not much over 6 mph though I have never really calculated it, and we were consistently hitting 6.8 in a good blow on a broad reach (in light chop) not long ago...

We used to sail the little WW Potter in pretty big waves on Lake Michigan. On the Bay, the chop seems much "tighter" (not sure how else to describe) than the big lake waves but still we were happy to be able to scurry into port on a couple occassions.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

birdwatcher

Had a very nice talk with Gerry Hutchins today about the right motor for my Sun Cat. First the motor bracket is rated up to 85lb. I learned .He suggests a 4Hp. with a 20" shaft is a good way to go. Advised that there is no problem in having a 25 " shaft and that given that 4hp 20" shaft motor comes in at 60lb. and the 6HP 25" shaft comes in at 61lb. its really just a personal preference. I told him I was planning to do some sailing on Lake Michigan and wanted to be safe so far as power in strong wave conditions and he agreed that the 4 or the 6 would be a good way to go.  Randy

Jim in TC

As another data point: the PO of our Sun had a Yamaha 8 hp hanging off the back, at 87 pounds according to current specs. It was not used much and we did not tow with it on, though I expect she did (short distance). The motor mount is still solid on the boat. But that was definitely pushing the limits! We were happy to switch out to Torqueedo.

It sounds like little downside to the larger motor (maybe, but not necessarily, more fuel use) once the purchase price is behind you.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Christopher

I have a 5hp Tohatsu on my Suncat.  I have been very pleased with its performance.  It has enough power to beat against the wind and waves to get you home when you need it to. 

Floridagent

I have a 2014 Sunday Cat with a 4hp Tohatsu with the 25" shaft.  It has run real well.  I just started it this morning with one pull after no use for 4 months.  I sail on Lake Eustis but plan to take it on the road to the Intracoastal and the Gulf.  I have no reservations about it's ability.  It goes to hull speed at about .5 to .6 throttle.  Given no change in weight, if you have power concerns the 6 hp version couldn't hurt.
//Bob
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

birdwatcher