a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Seat to gallows arch distance

Started by Cpy23ecl, July 03, 2020, 10:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpy23ecl

Can anyone tell me what the distance is from the cockpit seat surface to the bottom of the gallows arch is?  Trying to get an idea of what the head room under the new style bimini might be.

Thanks

Fred

Fastdoc98

Sorry it took so long; I just went and measured on mine and it's 40 inches.

Cpy23ecl

Thanks, that's good news.  I need 36" when sitting up straight so that means that with a small block under the mounts I should have enough headroom.  So now the only question is what the new style bimini does to exiting the boat or going forward.  I'll find out in 2 or 3 months.

Fred

Fastdoc98

I'll be curious to see what you think of the new Bimini.  I'm so tempted to get it just because of the heat and sun, but I don't want to find out that I can't fit underneath it or it restricts movement too much.  I do appreciate you being the guinea pig on this one though...???.!  ;D

Cpy23ecl

No problem, glad to help :-)  I'm 6' and need a min of 37" to not hit the bimini so should be ok if the bimini is raised to just below the bottom of the arch.  I suspect strongly that it will make movement in the cockpit more difficult but hopefully it will be easy to fold up and get out the way when needed.  I'm thinking that replacing the strap snap clips with a pelican hooks would make folding the bimini a lot quicker and easier.

Fastdoc98

Are you planning on cockpit cushions?  That will add just a little bit of height too.  The pelican hooks are a good idea.  Did they say whether it comes with a boot or not?

Cpy23ecl

I'm not planning on cockpit cushions although I normally use a throwable cushion so that does make it closer.  I have been thinking of trying something like the eggsitter gel cushion as I think it wouldn't slide around as much.  I believe Rob (Great Lakes Sailboat Co) said it does come with a boot.  If it doesn't it will be a simple matter to make one as my wife has a sailrite sewing machine.