a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lessons learned, lessons not learned

Started by Fastdoc98, June 09, 2020, 09:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastdoc98

So i was out yesterday afternoon with my Eclipse after my rigging modifications; my previous post shows the new furler cleat and different fairleads for the jib cleats.  So as i turns out the new carbon/composite fairleads for the jib lines are a failure and i understand now why I may need to go back to the original set up.  My issue was that the wire fairlead at the front of the jib cleat pulled the line down kinda tight which made releasing the line a little sluggish and too easy to cleat accidentally.  As it turns out, there's a reason that wire pulls the line down - the angle of the line coming from the jib car.  Without that wire pulling the line down i was unable to get the jib sheet to cleat because even if you pull the line down to the gelcoat its being lifted by the jib car just enough that the cleat won't grab it.  I was having to reach in front of the cleat and push the line down to get it to grab.  Guess I'll have to go back to the original set up as it was smarter than me.  Not sure if a wedge kit would be enough of a change to get purchase.  The Harken extreme cam cleat for the jib furling line was great and did exactly what I was intending, so that's a win.  I didn't try the new reefing set up as the wind was moderate and I was having too much fun at the time.  So the lesson NOT learned was heaving to.  I tried several times to perform this but each time the jib just pushed the bow downwind.  I tried going into it very slowly and gently, but even with the tiller hard over it pushed through.  Anybody else have issues with this or is just me?  I know i'm inexperienced and obviously still learning but I've watched videos and read the technique a bunch of times but couldn't get it to work.  Any tips or hints for me?

slode

When heaving to you have to let the main sheet out quite a bit.  Let the main wing downwind so the boom is just past the gallows.  The tiller should be hard to the downwind side so the rudder is trying to point the bow upwind.  This usually provides good balance.  First couple of times it's a bit unnerving because the Eclipse heaves to at a pretty steep angle off wind.  Almost to beam.  But she will settle in and stay put not heaving too much.  It's best to roll in some headsail to prevent the leech from rubbing on the mast and stays.  And definitely take in more headsail as factor of wind strength.  With a reef in and 1/3 of the jib rolled up she'll heave to in some pretty heavy stuff.  I've done this in 25 knot winds with 5' rollers and it was almost comfortable.  Another point, centerboard needs to be all the way down or all the way up.  Any point in between will push center of resistance aft and negatively affect the balance.

On your jib sheets, the softer/more flexible the line you can use the better for not accidently cleating with the fairlead.  I tried replacing mine with some cheap stiffer rope I got at a garage sale and went back to the old soft but not too worn line that was on the boat for this same reason.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Fastdoc98

I'll have to try again with the jib furled in some.  My main was loose and luffing, but maybe I could push it out farther to see if that does anything.  I did have the board all the way down which I did on the second attempt as I thought that might play into it.  My jib sheets are new this season, New England StaSet and are very soft. 

Jim in TC

Take note that the time to practice reefing is when the wind is moderate (or even light). In fact, we have only reefed while at the dock (a couple times to see how it played out, and a few times when the wind seemed high enough that shaking out an over-cautious reef seemed far easier than taking one in during heavy wind and waves...and it has always turned out to be a good idea). This on a Sun Cat
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

slode

If you're main was luffing you just didn't let the bow come down far enough to settle in.  Like I said, the boat will be pointing about 60-70 deg off the wind.  Both sails should be full.  Don't fear tipping over.  Even a 40mph gust pushing against the sails from straight on is WAY less healing force than when close hauled and getting lifting force from a 15mph apparent wind speed.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Fastdoc98

So as a follow-up, I was out Friday for the day in some pretty solid winds which was great for moving around but I was surprised how lumpy the lake got.  Was whitecaps all around and 2ft chop heading into the wind in the early morning and after lunch it piped up a little more.  The down wind return trip was 4.5-5.3 SOG the whole way and 3 ft rollers which was weird for a lake that size, but the north end of the lake appears to only be about 10-11 ft depth all the way across.  I was able to successfully heave to a couple times; it for sure was the main sail not being played out for enough on my earlier attempts.  The one disappointment was realizing that without a topping lift you can't put in a reef on the main while hove-to as the boom just drops off the side and is too far out to catch on the arch.  The new reefing system was great otherwise and worked perfectly.  Just for fun in the BIG wind I tried a reefed main and furled the headsail to about 60% or so.  Handled like a kitten even in the harsh wind and chop.  On a sad note, I lost my brand new Sunday Afternoon Charter Breeze hat in that damn wind!  Right before I was going to head in to the ramp it flew off and by the time I got the sails down and motor fired up it was long gone and out of sight - indistinguishable from all the white caps.