a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lovely day

Started by Fastdoc98, May 07, 2020, 08:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastdoc98

So I finally got my Eclipse out today for my second sail with her, first this season, and what an awesome day it was.  Clear skies, fluffy clouds, and brisk winds.  Was blowing out of the west at an average of probably 12-15 knots with gusts at least to 20 which made for some exciting times.  The gusts were pretty annoying as they would hit hard and often times change the wind direction by about 90 degrees which would cause me to round up with the big ones, but I never felt out of control.  I was seeing mostly 4-5 knots by the Lowrance GPS and at one point hit 5.7 DDW.  The boat handles the stiff breezes better than I do and there were only a couple of times that a little bit of spray got me, but for the most part I stayed dry.  My son came with me for the launch and that was a bit of an ordeal.  My favorite ramp, which would have been sheltered in the lee winds, had the dock pulled up into the parking lot.  I guess my governor still doesn't want us playing outside yet.  We went around to another launch that had a dock, but it was sitting out directly in the wind so the boat came off the trailer and was pelted up against the dock for a bit until I parked the vehicle.  Fenders kept any damage from occurring, but it was rough with 2 foot waved splashing up over the open transom.  Got headed out and raised the sails and we were off!   One of the tasks for the day was to replace the bottom bunk board that the keel sits on as mine had cracked, so we sailed for about an hour and then headed in to work on the trailer.  I brought the new 2 X 6 with me so all we had to do was remove the old one, strip off the plastic covering, drill new holes for the bolts and then nail the plastic covering back in place.  Went smoothly and we had it done in about 20 minutes.  My daughter drove out after her online class was over and joined us for the rest of the afternoon.  Yes, I disobeyed my governor's order by having more that 2 people on my boat, but I think I actually know the science of COVID-19 better than him and I know my same two kids who I live with day in and day out aren't causing me any more risk by being in my boat.  The kids went down below and snacked like crazy, read a book, listened to some tunes, and I know my daughter took a little nap in the V-berth curled up with pillows and a blanket.  I spend the time happily in the cockpit scooting along and dealing with the big blows and puffs, adjusting the vang and traveler to flatten the sail as much as I could as I was unable to reef the main.  I spend some time with the jib furled to about 75% and other times all out depending on how hard it was blowing which was quite variable depending on the actual weather and where I was on the lake.

So overall a great day out on the water, but a few lessons learned:
1- I have to rig a new reefing system as the stock one doesn't work.  The 'cleat' on the fore end of the boom won't hold for shit, so I may have to install something like Al did with a turning block leading to a camcleat forward on the boom

2 - I want to replace the plastic cleat for the jib furler with a camcleat, maybe a Harken extreme angle fairlead one

3 - I may want to replace the jib camcleats as well as the fairlead is so low that when you release the sheet it doesn't run out very smoothly as it drags over the pawls quite a bit

4-  I think my sails may be pretty bagged out.  I wasn't able to really flatten the main even with easing out the traveler and cinching down the vang.  The roach would flap near the first and second reef points and there was a lot of belly to it overall.  Don't have anything to compare to, though

5 -  This is a really awesome sailboat

6 -  Did I mention how much fun sailing this boat is?

It really was a great day getting to know this boat a little more and just learning to sail.  I'm really pleased with this purchase so far, and I have to thank Al for talking some sense into me.  I lusted after a Precision P23 for years but I really think this boats fits what I want and need in a sailboat and what I'm actually going to do with it.  I hope someday I can visit some other lakes and maybe even one day take a sailing vacation with it.  I hope everyone is staying healthy and getting out and enjoying the weather when they can.  Be prepared for more stupid questions from me as I keep learning!

alsantini

Now that sounds like a great day and with your kids too.  Were you at Carlyle?  I wouldn't worry about the Gov since I do not think he ever will get out of Chicago.  One way or another I will make it to Carlyle this summer and hope to go sailing with you onboard that beautiful sailboat.  Congrats and stay well!  I'll bet you have been a bit busy.  Sail On  Al

Fastdoc98

I went to Lake Shelbyville since I wanted to be closer to home with changing out the bunk board - just in case I needed tools or materials that I hadn't thought of.  Next time out I'm heading down to Carlyle for sure as I'm ready for a little more space to play.  Thankfully things down here COVID-wise haven't been too bad; the rare advantage of living in the middle of nothing.  Our numbers have been thankfully pretty low and all the volumes throughout my place are down, but that unfortunately leaves us hemorrhaging money and furloughing employees.  Tough times for sure, but I'm hopeful there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  Any time you want to come down and not drag Off the Wind with you, you just let me know.  I owe you a day's sailing, including food and beverages!  I'm going to want to pick your brain soon about setting up the reefing anywho, so don't go anywhere just yet......

crazycarl

Nice write up, thanks.  I love sailing Shelbyville!  I like to see how close I can sail the shoreline and enjoy all the coves and fingers.  You do get some swirling winds from the elevated surroundings, but I'm used to them as our home waters are the same.   Hopefully we can meet at CLR when the world opens back up!
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"