a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

3rd Compac

Started by TedW, April 17, 2020, 09:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedW

We keep getting older and the boats are getting smaller. Going to start sailing inland lakes and more protected areas. Hope to do the north channel some day.. This Eclipse seems like the way to go for a couple of 68 year olds

alsantini

Well, you probably will not get any negatives here.  Personally, the Eclipse has been my best boat to date (8th one)  I am 74 years old and much of the time sail alone.  If you read the posts about the CLR Storm, you can realize how competent of a boat it is. It is extremely stable since the keel weight is at the bottom of the keel rather than the top.  Even the Admiral, who is not much of a sailor, likes how little it heels.  My previous boat was a Precision 21 and I loved it for 13 years.  But, I wanted to start more trailer sailing and the P-21 would take me almost 2 hours to get in the water and I needed help stepping the mast.  The Eclipse fits the bill totally for me.  If I pull up to a ramp, in about 20 min I can be pulling away from the dock.  I step the mast by myself and feel in control all the time.  BTW, when I first bought Off the Wind I could get her in the water in 15 minutes or 20 minutes if I had help.  LOL  I tow her long distances, to Florida and back for winter sailing, with a V-6 SUV.  An easy tow.  Only downsize as I see it is it is not a big boat.  I have slept overnight many nights and have plenty of room.  The Admiral will not stay overnight in it!  Lots of storage hidden away. Limited production.  My 2007 is #49 and I think they are still in the #90's this year.  They also seem to hold value well based on used ones for sale on this web site.  I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.  Give me a call or an E Mail.  I will be as honest as I can be.  Know in advance that I absolutely love the Eclipse.  I even used it in two books that I have written.  Alone In The Gulf of Mexico and Back To The Gulf of Mexico.  I will PM you with my phone number and E Mail address.  Sail On     Al

TedW

Hi Al,  Well you wouldn't know it but you've already helped me out quite a bit. In researching this boat I've read almost everything on this site. You have been most helpful with all of your comments and advice as has everyone else. Thanks. I'm sure I will have more questions when I get to bring her home. Who knows when that will be. Maybe May first. Not taking any chances. Ted

Tim Gardner

Al,   your statement "The Admiral will not stay overnight in it!  Lots of storage hidden away."  begs the ponderance of just might that "storage" be?

Ponderance; adj/ state of being in which one ponders, as a result of confusion or otherwise befuddlement, for prolonged periods of time.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

alsantini

Tim: Trying to get me into trouble are you....  First off Carol is a very light sleeper and frequently cannot get to sleep here in the house, much less a boat.  We both know she would lay awake all night listening to the usual sounds of clanking halyards, wind through the rigging, etc.  She would also be either cold or hot.  Now mind you she in no slouch when it comes to water.  She goes out on the Gulf fishing frequently sometimes on a 6 pack boat 40 miles off shore for the big grouper. 
Storage on an Eclipse:  The port lazarette curves around the stern and below the cockpit floor.  I store cleaning supplies, an extra anchor (small), all my lines, 2 buckets for cleaning, and all my bungees for long distance traveling.  It also has 2 batteries, the built in charger, and a 6 Gal water container.  The Starboard lazarette has my 3 gal fuel tank, a 1 gal emergency fuel container and a decent waterproof box that contains tools.  Once inside under the V berth is a decent compartment.  I guess it to be 3 feet square and 2 feet deep.  Under each quarter berth is a full compartment probably 4 feet long and 1.5 feet wide.  It is not real deep though.  In back of the backrest cushions on each quarter berth there is a cubby hole probably 3 feet wide.  Perfect for lots of junk.  There is a large cabinet under the sink and opposite the sink the same size compartment plus a compartment for the stove.  The step coming into the cabin lifts up with somemore storage.  I have some water bottles, suncreen, bug stuff, 12 volt chargers, booze and some plastic glasses.  When I compare the amount of storage to my Precision 21, which is a bigger boat, the Eclipse has slightly more, which unfortunately I will fill.  Sail On.   Al