Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom above or below the hinge

Started by Sunny Day, April 12, 2020, 04:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunny Day

Hi,

When I haul the sail, I generally have the boom Tack above the hinge on the mast.  With the boom this high, the his causes the throat of the gaff is within inches of the halyard pulley.

I was wondering if anyone keeps the boom below the hinge on the mast when sailing.  This would lower the front of the sail by 6 to 8 inches.

I would appreciate hearing what others do.

Thanks,
Steve

2014 Day Cat - Bobbasina
Steve
2015 Sunday Cat

Andre

Hi Steve,

I've commented on this a few times before on this forum.  I suspect I'm in the minority but I try to keep the tack slide just below or spanning the hinge joint on both my PC and HC.  My rationale is based more on the belief that the mast stub is stronger than the mast section above the joint rather than the geometry higher up the mast.  I don't think it makes much difference though unless one gybes in a strong breeze.  I don't have any boom gallows or head clearance issues with the boom set lower.

Andre

bruce

I agree with Andre, it doesn't make much difference. Most have the the boom roughly at the hinge. Any spreading of the mast track that I've heard of has been due to lowering the mast with the spars not stowed properly on the mast stub, i.e. below the long pin.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Sunny Day

Yes, I bought my otherwise lightly used Day Cat last spring and the only damaged spot was the lower part of the sail track on the mast.  I did bump it back into alignment with a rubber mallet and things seem fine in that department. 

I do appreciate the mention that often the damage to the sail track is caused by not lowering the boom and gaff completely before dropping the mast.  That makes a lot of sense.

Cheers, Steve

Steve
2015 Sunday Cat