a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailing in a Storm

Started by gmerrill, April 11, 2020, 09:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

Has anyone sailed in a major storm whether in an eclipse or another boat.
What steps are taken to best ride it out sail it out or just get through it alive.
I?ve been in some 4 and 5 footers and my Eclipse took it like a champ and I never felt
Like I was in any danger. Anyone have any stories of how their eclipse was put to the test.
Greg

kickingbug1

I know al has a good tale to tell
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Whisper

Hi Greg , just a note on securing the anchor , I fitted a small electric  anchor winch to my eclipse ,it fitted with a bit of a slight alteration in the hole where the original hawser pipe is located , now I can up/ down anchor from the cockpit without going forward . It snugs up bar tight .and was easy to fit.
As to the rough weather , I have been in some bad weather but never so far in the Eclipse , the worst was in Bass Strait sailing from Hobart to Sydney in 1985/with a full crew on board .
We had an easy sail across the strait and was near Gabo Island on Australia?s south east coast, we could see the front approaching fast,  very fast ,a very solid cloud front that hit us at 60 knots , we had managed to get the mainsail down and a small storm jib on . When the storm hit there was thunder and lightening and large hail that hurt like hell, we had safety harnesses on and were well prepared and luckily we could go with the storm , the speedo only registered to 18 knots and it was stuck on that as we surfed down the front of the waves, the yacht a 38 footer handled it well and was able to be steered,
I have had other moments and I advocate running before the seas  under shortened sail area ,if the boat can be steered and doesn?t want to broach otherwise I would either lie a hull or heave to .
Most times having the engine on helps steering.
I think the Eclipse should be able to run and surf but I haven?t had that experience yet.
Cheers Des

kickingbug1

last year at the clr we expierenced a storm on lake Carlyle the like of which I have never seen before. it will be known as the " great Wednesday storm. im sure many of our sailors can relate how they handled it. for my part i was lucky. i had a good crew, my wife sarah, who never panics and a good boat, catalina 18. under power we could not make any headway. i rolled in the jib and took down the main (no time to reef). she rolled

to 30 + degrees as we turned downwind. we made it to a sheltered cove and waited it out.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

gmerrill

Thanks for the experiences would love to hear more.
Greg

crazycarl

i was there for that storm.  it was bad.  couldn't see past 50 yards.  glad i was in the marina lounge sipping a mug of tea.  ;)
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Jim in TC

So this is a larger boat than most of us have but still...back in the 70's my brother had a Columbia 26 sloop that endured a few Lake Michigan crossings, mostly in poor weather. One time, returning from Milwaukee (after carefully checking weather forecasts - really) and with our most recent charting (dead reckoning all the way) at midnight and almost exactly in the center of the Lake, we saw lightning in the distance. Bro David was famously reluctant to shorten sail but this storm seemed to be approaching so rapidly that we first reefed then dropped the main and hanked on a storm jib instead of the genie. The storm hit hard, I am almost certain I saw a funnel on the horizon in the almost constant lightning (there were several tornadoes reported along the Michigan coast that night); at one point, I lost sight of the rest of the crew across the cockpit in the spray, the boat felt like it was hit by a fist and we heeled almost clear over. We were suddenly (comparatively) becalmed, and on a westerly heading when we were, before the "hit," headed due east. Our best theory is that we were struck or nearly so by a water spout and spun around with the keel near the surface, sideways.

A tot of rum was served to all aboard. The rest of the crossing went on without incident and the only damage was a slightly bent wind vane at the top of the mast. A good, stout boat, that Columbia.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

slode

Quote from: Whisper on April 11, 2020, 10:09:53 PM
Hi Greg , just a note on securing the anchor , I fitted a small electric  anchor winch to my eclipse ,it fitted with a bit of a slight alteration in the hole where the original hawser pipe is located , now I can up/ down anchor from the cockpit without going forward . It snugs up bar tight .and was easy to fit.
As to the rough weather , I have been in some bad weather but never so far in the Eclipse , the worst was in Bass Strait sailing from Hobart to Sydney in 1985/with a full crew on board .
We had an easy sail across the strait and was near Gabo Island on Australia?s south east coast, we could see the front approaching fast,  very fast ,a very solid cloud front that hit us at 60 knots , we had managed to get the mainsail down and a small storm jib on . When the storm hit there was thunder and lightening and large hail that hurt like hell, we had safety harnesses on and were well prepared and luckily we could go with the storm , the speedo only registered to 18 knots and it was stuck on that as we surfed down the front of the waves, the yacht a 38 footer handled it well and was able to be steered,
I have had other moments and I advocate running before the seas  under shortened sail area ,if the boat can be steered and doesn?t want to broach otherwise I would either lie a hull or heave to .
Most times having the engine on helps steering.
I think the Eclipse should be able to run and surf but I haven?t had that experience yet.
Cheers Des

Des, what are you using on your winch for rode?  I wouldn't want to rely on anything lighter than 3/8" rope or 3/16" chain to hold the Eclipse in a good blow.  Maybe if you're just day sailing and only anchor for a break.  But if your on the hook overnight I couldn't see anything that would fit on a small electric winch being adequate.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

crazycarl

i've been caught out sailing in a few small storms, but this storm i was waiting out at anchor...

i took 7 weeks off work for my 50th birthday and was sailing the florida keys.  on day 5 i left porpoise key in the early morning with the intention of making key west that evening via florida bay.  about midday noaa announced a storm coming in about midnight with strong northerlies and a small craft warning.  i wanted to make anchor on the southern side of one of the many uninhabited keys, but the charts were showing the waters levels close to shore too skinny for even my starwind 19 with it's board up draft of 18".  i needed to find some place with a good holding, not easy in the shallow hard bottom of the keys.  fast forward to 9:30 pm when i finally dropped anchor just north of a narrow channel leading to cudjoe key.  i dropped the anchor in 14' of water and let out 20' of chain and 90 feet of rode.  that left me with 8' of saltwater between the keel and the hard coral bottom.  a second anchor was set off the stern to keep the boat in place from the light southerlies that had prevailed all day.  i set the gps anchor alarm to 100' and the depth gauge alarm to 4'.   the tiller lashed, the outboard motor left down along with the transom mounted boarding ladder, and everything secured, or brought inside the cabin.  i went below and made myself tea and poured it in a thermos.  the winds were already starting to shift 180* and the boat is beginning to rock.  the rain had arrived so i put my rain suit on and attached the handheld vhf and spot to my my inflatable life vest.  i set the alarm on my watch to activate every 30 minutes to check my position.  as i sat drifting off, i heard a small banging sound.  at first i thought it was nothing as we all know how sounds are amplified inside a small boat.  the sound persisted so i went above to investigate.  not finding anything i returned to the cabin only to hear it once i tried to rest.  moving about the cabin listening, i placed my ear against the bulkhead at the aft of the quarter berth and determined the sound was coming from the stern.  going back topside, i discovered the threaded handle used for tightening the rudder to the housing was loose,  if i didn't act fast, i could lose it, and the rudder.  not being able to reach it, i tied myself off and climbed over the stern rail.  standing on the boarding ladder,  i used my foot to rotate the lever and tighten it the best i could before returning below.  not until i closed the sliding hatch to the rain and howling wind did i hear both alarms warning of the boat's position shift.  again out into the storm, i start the outboard, and go forward to pull in the anchor.  crawling to the bow i remember the stern anchor and crawl back to retrieve it.  once stored, i crawl back to the bow and begin pulling in the rode as fast as i can.  the anchor grabs and i think about letting it be, but with every lightning strike i see waves breaking on a shoal some distance to our stern.  crawling back to the cockpit with rode in hand i take control of the outboard and as the boat hobby horses forward i bring in the rode.  i can't say for sure how long the process took, but it felt as if i was never going to see the chain.  once back into deeper water i again drop the anchor and with the outboard set it as best as i can.  crawling back to the cockpit i swear i hear voices and pull the small spotlight from its place in the cockpit.  i scan the area, but cannot see as the bright light reflects off the rain.  returning to the cabin i slip and land on my side, injuring ribs.  i am more concerned with the amount of water coming in the cabin and quickly slide the hatch closed.  i reset the alarms and settle in only to hear the knocking of the tiller again.  back up top and over the stern rail.  this time i forget to lash myself and climb down the ladder so i can properly secure the lever.  as i work i recall john travolta in urban cowboy as i feel like i'm on a mechanical bull and the sea is doing its best to throw me off.  again in the cabin i try to pour the tea, but the bucking is too much and i give up. 
hungry, weak, and shivering, i try to rest but again the alarms call.  4 times throughout the night i move the boat and reset the anchor.  dawn is a few hours away and the storm has yet to pass.  i setup my video camera and talk to my wife joan.  i explain to her what is taking place and that perhaps lake sailing has not given me the experience i need to survive this.  as i apologize to her, a pot comes off the shelf and flies between me and the camera.  i can't help but laugh.  i remove the sd card and place it in a waterproof bag along with my drivers license, stuffed in my pants pocket in the hopes that if i'm recovered, she will know i was thinking of her at the end.  with that accomplished i finally start to dose.  then...boom...boom...boom.  now what?  i listen and the sound is rhythmic with the rocking of the boat.  going topside i crawl around looking for something to fix.  nothing.  i stand and in the spirit of capt. dan, climb to the mast and yell out...i'm ready for you!  here i am, but you have to show yourself first!  then i realize where the sound was coming from.  the mast was rocking back and forth as the shrouds were loose.  gathering tools from a cockpit locker i crawl to the mast and as i try to sit, fall against the life line stanchion.  another bruise.  tightening the shroud i find in my haste to launch, i failed to attach the split rings to keep the turnbuckle in place.  i'm almost done when a wave hits and sends me across the cabin and into the port lifeline.  both the wrench and screwdriver are lost overboard.  this is were redundancy pays off as i brought 3 tool kits and stored them separately.  no way was i going to get split rings on in this storm, but with the mast secured, i return to the cabin and fall asleep only to here the tiller banging again.  another trip, but this time i stand on the lever knowing full well it will impeded the kickup capabilities.  my attempt at gaining access to the cockpit would have been entertaining if it was in a laurel and hardy movie. with my right arm wrapped around the stern rail i was being tossed about like a rag doll.  at one point the only thing that kept me from disappearing into the night was i landed stradling the outboard facing astern, grasping for anything that felt solid.  pulling my tired body aboard, i fell into the cockpit where i laid until the morning sun woke me.  the rain was gone and the wind was now out of the west at 30 mph.  i looked over the boat and found nothing broken except the main halyard had blown loose and chaffed nearly through.  that would need replacing.  amazingly, and the clr crew won't believe this, the outboard started right up!  i couldn't retrieve the anchor as it had finally set itself so well i had to dive down to release it.  the waves were reaching 3-4 feet and i wasn't about to try the very narrow unmarked channel to cudjoe key, so we motored back to porpoise key.  dolphins accompanied me along the way as we surfed down some amazing waves.  reaching porpoise key late in the day and going below i found 8" of water in the cabin.  donning my snorkel gear i couldn't find a scratch on the newly painted hull. then while climbing up the ladder i saw a scupper flap was missing and deducted while surfing down the waves, water had entered via the bilge pump.  all my stores were wet and the labels came off the canned goods, which made for interesting meals in the weeks to come.  i spent the day drying off the stores and hung all the wet items about the boat only to have it soaked again as the rain arrived.  so, i left them out i the rain overnight to wash the salt out of them. 

in the days following the storm i photographed many large boats, both sail and power, aground on shoals or damaged against docks and piers.  the radio reported the storm had sustained 45 mph winds with gusts to 60 mph.  several semis had been overturned and buildings damaged.  i felt lucky, but most of all, i felt confident in my little starwind could handle more than i. 

this was the 1st of 4 nasty storms i encountered on my trip.  the second storm i rode out tied up in the mangroves for 2 days with nothing to read but bram stoker's dracula. 

along with very cool weather that caused huge fish kills and the locals complaining,  i was constantly reminded by other sailors that this was not a typical winter in the keys.  many didn't attempt the gulf crossing to the bahamas and went home.

kickingbug1

damn carl, I wish you had been out in it with us last year. that would have been another tale for the ages.

crazycarl

Quote from: kickingbug1 on April 13, 2020, 03:54:50 PM
   damn carl, I wish you had been out in it with us last year. that would have been another tale for the ages.

as you may recall, joanie and i arrived late and put the boat in the slip.  she was too tired to go out and i was thinking about it, but after working the night before and then driving 4 1/2 hours, i had an epiphany that i should just wait for everyone to come in.  once the storm hit i was pacing in the boson's lounge and running to the boat to listen to the vhf.  i believe chris was the 1st to make it back.  we didn't see him until he was already at the dock. 

if we had been out with the fleet, it would be some time before i could get joanie in a boat again.  she still startles every time the boat heels after our capsize years ago.

Whisper

Hi Slode , I fitted a South Pacific VA600 vertical windlass with a 1/4 inch gypsy that handles chain and rope . The winch fits into the hawser hole but I had to cut a little of the back of the cleat horn to get it in . Not a big job ,quite rewarding to do and have the up/down switch in the cockpit port side .easier to get the wiring through.
I have a 10 lb  Manson plough anchor with 30 metres of 1/4 inch tested chain ( not cheap Chinese chain ) with 20 metres of  1/2 inch rope spliced to the chain .
The windlass doesn?t handle the rope very well .
I prefer to lie to the chain and find that the weight of the chain is a big help .
Best regards
Des

Christopher

Carl,
  What a great job you did in describing your story.  I could really feel it.  I'm glad you made it back safely.

kickingbug1

that was one time being late was a good thing. we were happy that you and joan were spared that bit of excitement that's for sure.

alsantini

Guess I will throw in a short description of our sailing adventure at CLR last summer.  It proved to me just how capable of a boat the Eclipse is.  On Wed, the group decided to sail North on Carlyle Lake and find a spot to swim or walk around.  Steve and Sarah know the Lake and so picked a really nice little cove.  We anchored, grabbed a beer and jumped into the 4 foot water.  Nice sand bottom.  What could possibly go wrong....  After we had been there for over an hour, Chris and I were talking near his boat when the only sailor not in the water motioned us to come over.  When we got there we realized that he had been watching weather radar and there was a storm on its way directly toward Carlyle Lake.  Shit!  We yelled at everyone that a storm was heading our way, while wondering why the person not in the water had not given us more of a warning.  When I got onboard Off the Wind, I could hear my weather alert, in the cabin (What!) yelling at me.  We all hoisted sail, started the outboards and started heading back to the marina, at the other end of the Lake.  As I sailed back alone, I quickly was over canvased and so reefed the main and furled 1/2 of the genoa.  But, in a little while I had way too much sail up.  I had been motor sailing and now was going to rely on the motor only.  I dropped the main and furled the genoa.  I put a couple of extra ties on the main.  I was following Matt, who is a terrific sailor.  But for some really stupid reason, stopped following him as he pulled into his marina.  I was still quite a way from my marina as I turned directly into the wind and waves.  Damn...  I reached into the cabin and pulled out my safety strap, connected it near the mast base and clipped in.  By now the waves were high enough that the outboard prop would not stay in the water - What do I do now?  I was a sitting duck in the middle of the lake.  I crawled forward to the bow and un-tied the anchor.  I have about 20 feet of chain and 150 feet of rode.  I dropped the anchor, it grabbed and I let out about 60 or so feet of rode, and tied it off to the bow cleat.  As it dug in, the boat swung into the wind (out of the South).  I crawled back, swung the chart plotter into the cabin, got below and closed the companionway.  I held on tight while watching my weather radar on my phone.  I also kept the VHF radio on.  For about 45 minutes I realized what my clothes do in the washing machine.  The anchor held as I bounced, heeled, bounced, rolled.  I think the greatest heel I experienced was around 45 degrees but at the time it felt like a knockdown.  Every opening in the boat had water dripping in, as I stashed my sleeping bag into a waterproof bag.  I believe I said the Lord's Prayer out loud.  After the storm passed, I opened up to a cloudy sky, 20 mph winds and 2 foot rollers.  Thank you Lord.  The anchor was really stuck and I thought about cutting the line but it finally popped and I brought it aboard.  I motored back to the marina where Carl met me at the dock.  Chris and his SunCat were already in the marina but we still had 4 other boats missing.  My VHF radio opened up with Steve (Kiskingbug1) calling everyone to see how we were all doing.  Everyone made it in in pretty good shape.  That night as we munched on Mickey D's we discussed the storm.  Apparently we had 45 mph sustained winds with gusts to 60.  Way more than I had ever experienced.  The Eclipse handled it in stride with no damage.  SAIL ON    Al