a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer Brakes???

Started by Vipersdad, March 14, 2020, 09:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vipersdad

Who uses or rather has trailer brakes on their CP-19 outfits.  Mine does not.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

PalmettoSailor

crazycarl

none on our 19, and i've towed it through the mountains from illinois to florida several times.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

Always been amazed at the different requirements for trailer brakes in each of the states.  Seems like that should be a federal issue for consistency.  Most states at 3k gross which would probably put the 19 under.  Mississippi is 2K and yet trailers are sold without brakes every day that have capacities much higher than that.  Have never heard of it being enforced.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

My 23 has drum surge brakes on one axle.  PITA keeping them working.

Salty19

I had a shop add Kodiak surge disk brakes a few years back.  They do work really well, but with the occasional use and outside storage my trailer sees one of the calipers is now stuck and will overheat the rotor.  Gotta work on that ASAP!  Stopping distances are much shorter now, and much more confidence driving.   I never felt like I had much braking control before I added them towing with both a Mazda CX-9 and Toyota Tacoma.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603