a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Great sail

Started by alsantini, February 25, 2020, 06:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Decided to go out on the Gulf Monday with 3 friends.  Small craft advisories in and out with steady 18 mph winds and 2-4 foot seas.  Started out with the thought that we would just poke our bow out to actually see conditions.  It looked good enough so we set a reef in and furled to about 50%.  We were flying along at sometimes over 6 mph.  We sailed for about 3 hours with the only problem being the rear reef line would not hold because there was too much pressure on the line through the clam cleat.  After it popped out for the 3rd time I tied a knot.  This is my next minor project.  Change out the cleat.  I think I will go with a small horn style cleat but what have any of you done to correct this?  My other project is to improve the outhaul since the through the boom original style just does not hold all that well.  I started putting in the pulley and cleat last week.  BTW the boat handled the weather yesterday in great style, as always.  No pounding, good control.  Had trouble furling the Genoa when we were finished sailing since I had left the Head-sail halyard too loose.  It twisted around the furler causing a bit of an issue.  My fault since I did not have it as tight as it usually is.  Oh well as they say nothing broke and no one got hurt sooo  a great day.

Fastdoc98

Al, the wife and I escaped the Illinois snow a little over a week ago and we were down in your area - Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Ft. Myers Beach.  As I wandered the marinas and looked out at the water I just kept thinking what a lucky SOB you are to be able to sail your Eclipse out there!  It may have been the tequila, but I was actually considering trailering down there someday...........

alsantini

That is the beauty of the boat.  Hook it in freezing cold and drive down to the warm clear waters of the Gulf.  Sail On.....    You should have called, we could have sailed a bit.