a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

NADA prices

Started by Desilou, January 31, 2020, 09:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desilou

So I have a 2001 SunCat to be sold as soon as the snow melts ( I am in southern Minnesota).
The NADA web site says $14,000 suggested list price and $5,000 average retail.
That is a very wide spread.
Where should I start?

Jim in TC

Quote from: Desilou on January 31, 2020, 09:42:53 AM
So I have a 2001 SunCat to be sold as soon as the snow melts ( I am in southern Minnesota).
The NADA web site says $14,000 suggested list price and $5,000 average retail.
That is a very wide spread.
Where should I start?

Somewhere in the middle? OK, all seriousness aside, I would look at the ads on this site and elsewhere (https://www.sailingtexas.com/ is one example that may have some listings, https://smallcraftadvisor.com/joomla_almond/index.php/component/aclassf/ is another). Extrapolate from what you find to your situation.

Much, of course, depends on condition and included accessories. Motor and trailer, and their age and condition, for example, will be important factors.

We were pretty happy to find a 2006 with issues around $7,000, couple years ago. Motor not included, and some quirky mods as well as some rigging problems.

These boats tend to hold their value, but at the same time may be something of a niche market. I doubt very much that a 2001 could fetch 14k, but if the condition is good and decent accessories 5k seems closer but low.

Another consideration is your interest in a quick sale or maximum return. In my case, the seller was motivated to sell quickly. If it were me, as one who doesn't care much for selling stuff ("motivated seller") I might start in the $6500 - $7500 range for boat and trailer (no motor) if the boat is decent and nicely equipped. But don't really take that to the bank - that is based only on my limited experience and drifting through ads back when we were in the market.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

carry-on

I think the list price reflects the 2001 price of a new boat.   
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

CharlieRN

I used the NADA values to help in my recent purchase of a 2013 and can confirm that Carry-on's response is correct. 

The NADA listings have three price categories:Suggested List Price; Low Retail and Average Retail. The Suggested List Price is for a new boat as Carry-on indicated. The other two categories are the current market values for a used boat of that year. So per the NADA guide, for a 2001 SunCat, the Suggested List was $13,995 the Low Retail is $3,810 and the Average Retail $4,350. To those values you would add extras like a trailer and outboard - the NADA guide gives your these as well.

In my very limited experience (the SunCat is my first boat purchase), the NADA values are only rough guides. They were helpful in my case, but I also got prices via the web for as many comparable boats as possible. At the risk of stating the obvious, there are also the variables of location and season that will impact price.
2013 Sun Cat
s/v TBD

Andre

And also consider that boats, especially Com-Pac catboats, are sold in very small numbers compared to cars so the NADA prices don't have a big base to average from.  A bit of a niche market I think and I have 2, ha ha.  I would ask high - there could well be a buyer out there who really wants a Sun Cat and it's always easy to negotiate down!

Andre

Renae

I paid $9K for a well-maintained 2004 in Iowa in 2019.  I knew I wanted a Suncat, that I had to see it in person, and that I did not want to have it shipped.  That put me in a narrow search band.  If you can find such a buyer, your range on the 2001 should be $6000-8000 based on condition and extras (which help less than you think, especially motors).

I'm pretty sure I saw your SC in Lake City, and think you may have seen mine.  Hope this helps.

bruce

Adding to Andre's post, most used boat sales don't involve a licensed dealer. I doubt any online listing service, including Craigslist and Facebook, is reporting sales anywhere for the NADA to capture the data. At least with cars, when you register the sales price is recorded for tax purposes. In RI, no sales or use taxes are assessed. We do pay sales tax on outboards and trailers, but not the boat. A bill of sale is required to register, primarily to document the transfer of ownership.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

moebedick

I purchased a very nice 2009 Suncat in Stuart,Fl. in 2014, for $9500,with motor and trailer and accessories.Due to life changes, I was forced to sell it in 2016 ,in the same or better condition,for $14,500. You just have to be careful and find the right deal that works for you. I tried Craigslist for a few weeks, but sold it on Sailing Texas very quickly. Good luck.

Renae

Quote from: moebedick on February 01, 2020, 04:37:02 PM
I purchased a very nice 2009 Suncat in Stuart,Fl. in 2014, for $9500,with motor and trailer and accessories.Due to life changes, I was forced to sell it in 2016 ,in the same or better condition,for $14,500. You just have to be careful and find the right deal that works for you. I tried Craigslist for a few weeks, but sold it on Sailing Texas very quickly. Good luck.

You got a fine deal,, but it's worth mentioning that the supply/demand curve for Suncats looks very different in Florida than in the upper midwest.  When I bought Roger's boat, I guessed that it would be the only on one market within a 250 mile radius for the year.  I was correct.  There were any number of SC's I could have investigated in FL, but the additional expense of flying down, perhaps for nothing several times, then trailering back up is not trivial.

I agree about watching Sailing Texas though.  Great resource, and not just for Texans.

kickingbug1

for what its worth renae you bought your boat from one of the best sailors I have ever met and a hell of a great guy. gotta love that laugh of his----HAW HAW HAW.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

rogerschwake

The check is in the mail Steve.