Main Menu

Sleeping Aboard

Started by Brent65, January 11, 2020, 10:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent65

Hello Eclipse owners, Can you help me with the following questions:

1-Have you overnighted on your Eclipse?
2-How many were in your party?
3-Where did you sleep, V-berth or Quarter berths?  Why?
4-Did you utilize the backrests and filler board to create a bigger playpen area out of the quarter berths?
5-Were you comfortable?
6-How tall/big are you?

Trying to figure out if I can be comfortable overnighting on this boat with my wife.  I'm 6' and weigh 200 lbs.  My wife is 5'7" and weights 135 lbs.  Your thoughts are appreciated

Best,
Brent

alsantini

Hi Brent.  You know I have slept on-board frequently, so let me address some questions.  Perhaps even some you have not asked.  I have slept in both the V berth and the port settee.  Both were comfortable but the V berth suits me better.  I put the 2 cushions in the center tray and the starboard tray giving me an extra length and keeping the sink open.  I have never used the boards between the settees, since it would eliminate the use of the porta-potti.  They remain in my basement, along with the cushion from the sink.  Again, I am 5'10" and 200 lbs.  The Eclipse is not a huge sleeping boat.  I went from a P-21 with an additional almost foot of beam which was comfortable to the Eclipse which I would say is adequate.  But I picked up the ability to step the mast myself and an extremely good heavy weather boat.  As we have discussed, all boats are compromises.  I do not think anyone buys an Eclipse because of superior sleeping quarters, but maybe??  The Eclipse is comfortable in my opinion but I bought it for the mast raising and sailing capabilities and am 100% positive with the decision.

deisher6

Hey Brent65:
Please forgive me, but a cannot help but admire and comment on your gravitas including the Admiral's height/weight (even) in a friendly blog such as this.  (=;

regards charlie

Brent65

Ya Charlie, I almost gave her hips and bust size (which I know by heart) but thought I better restrain.  Gotta make sure we fit...If Admiral ain't happy, nobody's happy!!

slode

Give the lesser of the claustrophobic of you two the V-birth to yourself and the other take a quarterbirth.  My better half and I made it through 6 nights on Superior without too many complaints.  It was a lot of moving stuff back and forth each morning and night to make room but it worked and we had an awesome week!  (as long as she can be comfortable relieving herself 1' away from you.... or doesn't mind hanging over the edge of the cockpit).
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

waterwheels

Brent,

1, Our record is 15 straight nights, but we do at least 2 weeks every summer
2, Two of us (and yes we are still married)
3,We always sleep in V-berth....I thought that's what it was for..
4, Like Al that extra piece of plywood for between quarter berths is in the basement for the same reason
5, I sleep better there than at home most times. (we did add a 1" memory foam to v-berth and filler cushions)
6, 5'6 (and shrinking)

It takes a bit for you both to get a routine going but once you do all will be good.
Sleep well.

Don