- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Pulling jib sheets in

Started by gmerrill, January 01, 2020, 02:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

On occasion the wind will fill the headsail before I can
Get the jib sheet pulled in and the sail flat. In a windy day
It can make it much harder to control your boat as y'all well know.
Does anyway have a suggestion or is there small winch that can replace the present
Cam cleat. I've never seen anything posted on this problem so it just may be me.
Still a pretty strong guy who should be able to pull my headsail flat.
Greg

Whisper

Hi gmerrill , I understand your problem and what I have done is to install Harkin Carbon- cam xtreme angle fair lead cleats to the cabin top in the same position as the factory cam cleats . Means you can cleat off from any position ,windward and leeward .
I also added a two to 1 purchase on the jib sheets ,that helped a lot . Now tacking is easy
Cheers Des

wes

Head up into the wind a little to take the pressure off the sail, trim the sheet, fall off again. It becomes second nature after a while.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

kickingbug1

wes  had it right it also takes a lot of pressure off your rig and with practice it becomes second nature.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

alsantini

Whisper:  How did you add a 2 to 1 to the jib sheets?  Any pics?
Al

Whisper

I'll try and post some photos early next week when I'm back at the boat
Cheers Des

Bob23

On my 23, I simply use my Andersen self tailing winches. Most of the time the jib sheets stay wrapped around as I'm sailing...I rarely cleat them off unless I want the sheet on the windward side in which case it still enters the leeward winch first then gets cleated to the windward cleat. Pretty simple.
Bob23

Whisper

Hi Alsantini , I've taken some pics of my 2to1 jib sheet system but after trying to post them have given up . My phone and iPad take them in jpeg format and even reducing them and changing the format to what is acceptable ,the site still wont accept them , frustrating to say the least .
If you would like to email me at desclark14@ gmail.com I would love to send them to you .
Basically I used the same Genoa cars but added a shackle to tie the end of the sheet to it then to two small lightweight blocks attached to the jib clew and then returning to the Genoa car block and then to the cam cleats.
I replaced the cam cleats with Harken xtreme angle cam cleats which are fabulous , they let you cleat and release the sheet from either side of the boat with ease.
The cleats fit into the holes of the original cam cleats .
A double block doesn't seem to work the sheet jams ,two blocks work well,
Regards Des