a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Size outboard?

Started by Steve Cornacchia, November 14, 2019, 08:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

strange thing about the two strokes I have owned is that they don't seem to care if you use ethanol. the little Johnson runs just fine on it and the mercury triple on the back of my thrity year old bass boat runs like a champ. I do use a little seafoam in both as that may make a difference. as for the sailboat, I only run the Johnson long enough to get me safely from the dock and bring me back in, probably uses a little more gas but not much. the important thing if it idles perfectly. the merc would sputter and die at the worst fimes.funny how I have had an old snapper walk behind lawnmower that is about 25 years old with the original carb that never misses a beat. that Japanese usually make pretty good motors but dropped that ball on this one. who builds a carb that has to be rebuilt every year. they are easy to rebuild but seriously, every year!
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

alsantini

Outboards are always an interesting topic and not one where one size/make fits all.  I have had mostly 4 strokes on my sailboats with one exception, a 2 stroke Suzuki that was on my Capri 16.  Small, turn it around to go in reverse and no neutral.  Kind of a PITA when docking and it would die at the most important times.  grrr. 
When I moved up in boats, my P-18 had a Johnson 2 stroke.  Ran beautifully and never missed a beat.  Next boat, my P-21 came with a Nissan 4 hp/4 stroke and it also ran really well until some fisherman ran into it and destroyed it.  another grr moment.  I replaced it with the same motor (in 2000) When I bought the Eclipse, I mentioned that it had a huge 9.9 hp 4 stroke (wow) water ski motor on the back.  The young stud like owner happily put it in my SUV so I could travel the 550 miles home.  It took 3 old fat men to get it out of the SUV and into the garage. I offered it to the next owner of the P-21 as a newer (2007) motor and he bit.  The Nissan 4 still purrs along on my Eclipse using ONLY ethanol free fuel and a bit of carb cleaner once a year that I force feed into the carb.  Personally I think the key is the fuel.  I stay away from ethanol at all cost even driving into Wisconsin for my summer fill up.  Illinois grows corn, and lots of it so, ethanol is common and legislated is parts.  Here in Florida I buy at marinas.  I have a long shaft but not the longest.  At CLR this year is the only time I could not keep the prop in the water but conditions were a bit excessive....  Next motor might be the super long shaft but price will be the determining factor.  That's my story and I am sticking to it.  My 19 year old 4 stroke 4 hp will continue to push me along, I think...  But I have only used Mobile one in it changing once a year.

kickingbug1

I knew when I posted that if would be received like a trump tweet
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

alsantini

Steve:  Trump tweets are nasty and particularly insulting.   I hope you do not think my post was anywhere near a Trump tweet.  I was just joining in on the conversation with no intention to refute anything anyone had said.  Sorry if I offend....

kickingbug1

al, you took me all wrong. like trump I figured I would get a rise out someone just bringing up the words two stroke. you know me well enough to know I cant be insulted hahaha. it was nice to see the response. I should apologize for downgrading the merc but for me it was a disapointment. im glad others have had better luck. just chalk it up to a crabby old man who drives a 67 year old truck and sails a 32 year old boat

kickingbug1

oh yeah, I enjoyed the book very much.

alsantini