a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

raw water pump replacement

Started by capnbgm, November 07, 2019, 09:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbgm

I have purchased the Oberdorfer n202m-15 to replace a Sherwood raw water pump that is leaking badly.  The Oberdorfer has smaller ports than the Sherwood--3/8 inches.  Can anyone recommend where I can find appropriate size elbows for this pump so I can connect the raw water hoses?  Thanks.

wes

You want male 3/8" NPT to hose barb of whatever inside diameter your existing hose may be. If you get lucky they will be in the plumbing section of your Lowe's or Home Depot. Otherwise Amazon, for example:

https://smile.amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-57001-Fitting-Connector/dp/B00F68TAV6
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

moonlight

Negative.
It's HOME Depot, not BOAT Depot.
You need Marelon or Bronze fittings.  Brass from the home plumbing store leaches out the zinc resulting in brittleness.  Last thing you need is a failed plumbing elbow below the water line on Christmas Day with 6" of snow.  Or without the snow.  It's a bad deal.
I've got tons of suppliers for these; the one that is most accessible to the common boater is defender.com
(Thanks to Wes for the editing.  I don't know what got a hold of me, except maybe not enough caffeine!)

wes

Ah, I see our boat expert is back online! Good to hear from you, Mr. Moonlight.

I stand corrected; I should have pointed out that boat fittings must be bronze, not brass, regardless of where one buys or orders them.

However I must respectfully correct your chemistry. It's the zinc content in brass that causes problems. The zinc leaches out galvanically and leaves the fitting weakened. Bronze contains no zinc.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina