a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Baby Stays.

Started by Vipersdad, September 25, 2019, 04:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vipersdad

Lowered my mast yesterday.  I do it with a line from the jib halyard around the tack hook on the stem fitting.and back to the winch as a safety line.  I then lower the mast into a crutch about six feet above the cockpit.  It was a bit gusty abeam but everything went smoothly.  I guide the mast on the way down so it doesn't pivot off to the side.  I am thinking about throwing some baby stays together.

It looks like the best option is to attach the chain ends to the forward stantion base and the shroud chain plate.  Is this what others have done?  The next stantion to the rear is quite a bit back.

Comments???

Thanks,

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Jackrabbit

I just slack my shrouds, undo the head stay and have a line made fast to the main halyard (cleated at one end) through a temporary block on the bow pulpit, stand on the cabintop and hold the mast with one hand as I pay out the line with the other - its very easy and I've had no trouble whatsoever lowering/raising the mast by myself.  Of course, I always accept help if it offered...

S.V. "Restless"

Vipersdad

I am still interested in where people have anchored their baby stays on a 19.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Damsel19

I secure to the chain plates/turn buckles.
I set up a gin pole on the base of the mast (2 x3 lumber cut fom standard 2x4 stud)
When lowering it starts horizontal, attached to the jib halyard
A second line runs from ginpole through a block on the stem head and aft to a cleat or winch.
The baby stays or "pole guys" run from gin pole to chain plates.
Release head stay and lower.
The mast lands in the cradle and the gin pole is poll vertical.
To raise the rig I reverse operation using a winch.
I have worked out the attachment points with snap shacles, fast pins and caribieners so set up takes a couple of minutes and no tools.
For short distance trailering I leave it set up. Needs about 12 ft clearance. Good for a couple miles to local ramp.
The rig isn't terrible heavy but have had back surgery so I let the winch do the work...
With a little practice its less than 5 minutes to launch. Usually longer if some one helps me.