a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

TOHATSU 3GR625000M STEERING LOCK KIT - 4/5/6HP 4-STROKE MODEL

Started by Shannonpn, September 24, 2019, 01:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannonpn

I have a 2010 Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke...I am familiar with tightening and that it is more for friction than locking...I've searched this site and maybe missed it but has there been any follow up as to whether this steering lock kit that you can purchase works.  Does anyone have one and would like to share their opinion? 

Zephyros

Yes, my boat came with one but I took it off, when you use it your only means of steering to the dock is by rudder. Having the tiller steering on the engine to drive yourself closer to the dock outweighs the benefit of the tiller lock. One person said they just put a bungee cord on the engine to hold it relativity straight, that may be worth a try first.

I've decided to sell my Sun Cat, it comes with the steering lock kit in the tool box, you can see my for sale posting here:
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=11567.0

Shannonpn

Sounds like I will try the bungee.  Quicker to release when need to maneuver in close quarters.

Zephyros

Excellent first choice, if you put one wrap around the motor shaft, away from the greasy pivot, it should provide enough tension while still holding snug. A flat style bungee maybe a good choice.