News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The last chapter in the cooler saga (I hope)

Started by brackish, July 23, 2019, 11:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

As some of you know it all started with Compac redesigning the 23IV and putting that very nice electrical panel and back wiring in.  However one of the negative results was diminished head room under the companionway steps making my search for a multi day cooler to fit that spot difficult.  Finally found a Yeti Sherpa, a discontinued model that was on clearance so it was only very expensive rather than ridiculously expensive.  I bought it, it fit, but was not good.  I had to lift the step, pull up a loose drop board, than drag that heavy beast over a floor cleat that held the drop board in place.  So to fix that problem I built a drawer for the Yeti:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN9fj4kD2YeFiRBdlO50govP9iwWPyamhc5CpNM5qoJnqHo2O2H3T2rhS615TjnYw?key=VTNkNkJfVDluaXZIWmZ5SlhiSlR6N3MyOHk2bU1B

Problem solved right?  No, I found that when the cabin table was in place and I needed something from the cooler, I could not pull the drawer all the way out to open the sideways lid without everyone having to leave the cabin.  Not good for non chaotic meals.  So I moved on to the next step, build a custom cooler that would have a front opening half lid that would provide access without  having to pull it all the way out.  Found a good deal on some 2" Urethane foam, put scrap pieces of 1/4" Luan on the outside and glassed in the inside .  Came out fairly well and I only have to pull the drawer out 8" to get full access to the cooler.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8IYGQCiq0D3TIprTfBSp1xU5GoQyK3ruS3w6KwI-CNsO7xohdFVCrAM93jBgDyA?key=LW1QbFBJNzVIYkZoTFd5U2w4S2NFUWhUN3diRWVR

Still requires one modification, I missed a dimension and made it about a half inch too long and I can't close the front latches.  Probably will remove the back of the drawer and move it back a half inch, plenty of room in there.

I thought I'd test it against the "very" expensive Yeti.  The Yeti is listed as 50qt. , but I think they are cheating to the high side.  My custom is visibly larger inside and out and measure 51qts.  But I put a 6lb equivalent cooler shock pad and a 3 lb block of ice in each one.  Opened them both three times a day to measure the ice loss.  At the end of thirty hours the ice was melted in both but both were the same temperature, about 48 degrees.   $40 custom matched the performance of the $200 Yeti. 

wes

That's all very well, but now you'll be expected to come up with a line of stainless coffee mugs, tumblers, and bottle openers all with BRAKI engraved on the side.
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

brackish

Quote from: Wes on July 23, 2019, 03:39:40 PM
That's all very well, but now you'll be expected to come up with a line of stainless coffee mugs, tumblers, and bottle openers all with BRAKI engraved on the side.

LOL, no I'm not going up against them, I'm kind of an Ozark Trail knockoff kind of guy.  Besides it has not been tested to see if it is bear proof and you know how important that is to the average Joe who buys a cooler. :)

Potcake boy

Those coolers may be bear proof, but you can't keep the guy with the funny looking pipe out for long. I use a Engel 35 qt. electric on my 23 pilot and have been 100% happy. If the space under the v-berth on the standard 23 is the same, it will slide right under.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

brackish

I looked at various 12vdc coolers before embarking on this journey.  Decided that while it would be nice, I could not find one with decent usable volume that would fit in the allotted space. The 35 Engel is about two inches too tall.   While it may fit under the V-berth, my dear wife, who is already somewhat disappointed in our head facilities, would not want to give up what little she has for a cooler.  And,in fact if it were there it would make access with the table up virtually impossible. I fear, Ron, you have been spoiled by the layout of the pilot house.:) 

Besides, I'm trying to keep it simple.  I've recently started using Cooler Shock pads and have become enamored with them.  The custom cooler will take two 14 x 10's which is the equivalent of 12 lbs of ice without taking up near the space. They have a longevity that kinda fits my cruising profile which is one or two nights out.

Cruzin

Brackish,

That may be the world's nicest cooler! Great job! I think you have found your new calling!

Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Potcake boy

Brackish,

I have to admit that you're right about being spoiled. At my age (73) I keep thinking that I will someday not be able to do sailing trips of any duration, and would therefore be better off with a different boat. Every time I ponder this, I always return to the same conclusion, I can't find a more suitable boat for my needs. Where I live we have a limit of 26' on boats in our marina. Even if I just use it to motor around in, it's still perfect in that it's stable, comfortable, and economical. I think I am stuck with this one, but love her more all the time.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

brackish

Ron, I'm six months away from the same age and faced with the same dilemma.  Considering the next boat,  or possibly just an addition to the fleet.  Considering power, capable of a couple overnighting, trailerable with a half ton truck, soft riding, semi-displacement and able to cruise at 15-20 knots with reasonable fuel economy.  Probably outboard powered. I have a list of potentials.

I think you are right, your pilothouse has features that will certainly extend your days of sailing.

Blown Away

The amount of wasted space in this area drove me crazy for a couple of nights before coming up with this concoction of a ice chest roll out, storage drawer, table/desk, and storage locker for flairs and my first aid kit. The depth gives me enough room to get to the bilge when rolled all  the way forward to the bulkhead. I'll probably have to post the pics in more than one post so scroll down.

Blown Away

Second set of pics.

Blown Away

Forgot to mention that the ice chest I used has wheels on it and pops out of the roll out cradle to be emptied and cleaned in the cockpit well.

CoVianna

I would quite like a Cooler on the boat and when I saw the thread title I thought great but then saw where you had built it. That's my access to the engine unfortunately. The other place, the V-berth, has the sea toilet under it. So still pondering but I have a feeling a quart into a pint pot won't go in this case. Yours is a good job by the way.

Blown Away

CoVianna, not sure of how much cold storage space you are needing but another option/suggestion is sacrificing a forward portion of your cockpit well for a removable custom box.