Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Locking up the boat?

Started by 5monkeys, June 18, 2019, 03:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5monkeys

Hi folks,
     on my 19, I can lock the forward hatch from inside, I can put a padlock on the sliding hatch... but there's nothing on my boat to latch the lockers in the cockpit. Has anybody installed anything to lock those up? I know nothing is foolproof and this isn't fully preventative, but more deterrent minded.  Curious what others have done.

Regards,

Keith
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

captronr

My eclipse is similar.  The battery is in one locker, fuel in another, and a mix of fenders in each.  Typically my boat is in a slip or on its trailer in a fenced (locked) storage area.

If I were worried about thefts, I think the easiest thing to do while it's on the trailer is somehow paddlelock the boarding ladder in the UP position.  That will slow thieves down a little.

I do keep a cable lock around the motor when it's installed.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

crazycarl

A small hasp and lock can easily be installed to deter thieves.

Most cockpit lockers don't come with them because of the chance of injury from scraping against them.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

It was a long time ago, but I recall someone installing a slide lock that had a long rod that could be accessed by reaching under the the cockpit seat from inside the cabin. I think they did it more as a deterrent to unrestricted water entry from a knock down in heavy weather than to deter theft. Remember the concept, but not the details.  That said, in forty-five years of owning sailboats that were left in the water at various marinas with unlocked cockpit lockers, I have never had a theft.

philb Junkie19

Hi 5M,
My 19 has a hasp on the inside of the locker rather than the outside of the cover. It was installed by a previous owner. The hasp can be fastend by a thumb spring clip. That would mean crawling along the bunk under the seats to fasten the clip.  The po also rigged it so the seat could be held down by a line from that clip, attached to the seat side of the hasp through an offset pulley to a small cleat accesible form the cabin. The line hold down would help in a knockdown. The full hasp set up was probably to prevent theft but a stout line with minimal stretch could help that way also.

5monkeys

Thanks for the ideas everyone,
      I wouldn't want a hasp on the outside of the locker I'd be the first of many to bloody themselves on that. But some of those ideas to latch from the inside may have merit.  I may be too paranoid anyhow, its not like it's easy to get on the boat when it's on the trailer. That alone is a deterrent. I don't have a fixed boarding ladder so that can be stowed ahead of time.

thanks again,

Keith
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

wes

This looks like it would be a little less of an injury hazard in the cockpit, compared to a conventional hasp:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=21100
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Bob23

My 1985 came with hasps on the outside of the locker lids. I've had the boat for 13 years...never bloodied myself nor has anyone else...and there have been some parties aboard. I do lock the companionway each time I leave but have never had an issue either when she was on a mooring or now that she resides in a marina. We're pretty honest here in the south of NJ.
Bob23

Mas

Don't even lock the car. In decades of existence, it appears that nothing has ever been stolen at our marina, whether from boat, the yard or cars. We are blessed.

....oh and Bob, knew we liked you South Jersey shore guys!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Thanks Rick! I can't vouch for the Northern NJ guys!

Damsel19