a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bridges & Winds

Started by hazelscamp, March 21, 2007, 03:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazelscamp

Activities seem to have slowed down on the Eclipse board.   I had to take the boat out for some excitement!   

While sailing through downtown Jacksonville's bridges ( I had my motor on for safety but not in gear), I took the opportunity to dash under a railroad bridge just ahead of a barge tow coming from the opposite direction.   I made it through OK except as I exited the concrete bridge pier structure, I was hit by a strong gust from the direction opposite my tack,  the boat rounded upwind and I found my self looking directly at the on-comming tow.   To make matters worse, my main sheet was cleated down ( the wind on the other side of the bridge had been steady and low velocity.    It was exciting and of course when the gust passed the boat came back in control without my help.   As I passed the tow I got several waves and smiles from the tug operator.   He was probably relieved to see the Eclipse recover on its own, I know I was....

Embarrassed

gradycampbell

I don't know about you, but my Eclipse sails very poorly with the motor down, to compound your problems...