a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Pics of a CP23 rudder being foiled

Started by Blown Away, May 25, 2019, 11:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown Away

I foiled my rudder this week and took pics thru the process for anyone interested.

Blown Away

Continued

Blown Away

Continued

Blown Away

Bristol14

Very nice!  I like how you cut angled pieces to form the foil.

What did you use for materials?  What was the angle cut for the individual pieces. Thx.
Paul

Blown Away

Bristol14, Sorry for the delay to your questions I was on the golf course with my grandson most of the day. The wood sections are mahogany with ps foam mid sections. The layup is five layers of glass cloth with West System epoxy. I don't remember offhand all the cut angles but I'll be back in the shop Tuesday and will check my notes and let you know.

Bristol14

Paul

Bob23

This is very similar to the foiled rudder blade I made for my 23 years ago except that I sheathed the blade in 3mm Okoume plywood before glassing. The leading edge was made from a solid piece of Mahogany and both top and bottom caps were done in white oak, because that's what I had lying around. I do like the contrast of the woods and the shape is a true NACA 0014 foil.
  The new blade has worked perfectly, has increased the speed of the boat slightly, eased the weather help at bit and made tacking through much easier and still after 8 years, looks great. 2 years ago, I played with it's position, tilting it forward of plumb by cutting the upper part of the blade where it rests in the rudder head in my effort to conquer the dreaded weather helm inherent in our 23's. It worked, a bit too well as all last summer I had a nearly neutral helm which is not very comfortable nor safe. This year I've tilted the sail plan back a bit to try and introduce some slight weather helm into the boat and today, being the inaugural sail, I'll find out if my plan worked.
  I also use the stainless steel hold down bar which I bought from Compac. I needed to have it strengthened by adding a truss to the back of it to provide stiffness but all in all, all these modifications have proved a success and have really transformed the boat's performance.
  The pics are buried somewhere in the archives of my thread here "The continuing adventures of Koinonia".
Cheers!
Bob23

Blown Away

Bob, would love to see pics of your rudder I'm sure it's a beauty.

Bob23

I need to relearn how to post pics. Some of the old timers here will tell you the first go round, it took me 2 years to learn! I never heard the end of that. I do have pics I could email but I suppose I should buckle down and learn this.

Blown Away

I use a app called photo and picture reducer. Very user friendly, just choose a photo and hit reduce to 25% and its done.

NateD

I'm interested to hear how it feels while sailing. When I did mine I added area on the forward edge of the rudder to create more of a balanced feel, it looks like you didn't add much area past the original leading edge. Also, the trailing edge of yours looks pretty thick. My trailing edge was initially 3/4" thick and it created vibration in the tiller. I had to get the trailing edge down to 3/8" to get rid of the vibration.

Here was my build, there is a pic of Bob23's foil in the thread too: http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5072.msg35463#msg35463

Blown Away

My apologies guys for delays in responding back. With a splash date set for the 14th and a shop full of work not to mention my own projects to complete my time schedule has been a little crazy to say least. I should have mentioned that the foil shape on this build is experimental based on a rudder shape we built for a Santana 30 years back against my will and better judgment that I ended up having to eat crow on. I'm avoiding bottom paint incase I need to make adjustments. I'll definitely report back on the performance and save the comical Santana story for after the testing. Paul I'll send over the info you requested but would rather test it first. If all goes well I'll even mail you a set of paper patterns if you'd like.
Cheers!

Bristol14

Paul

Blown Away

So my plans to splash on Friday turned into a late Saturday splash and had to head back to reality early Sunday morning. Long story short not settling into my slip until right at dark Saturday I was unable to test the rudder. I'm hoping to get back on the water this weekend if not definitely the following weekend.