a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mooring line to bow cleat

Started by AFM, April 21, 2019, 05:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFM

I plan to use the mooring system I had installed for my 36' boat.  I will change to a smaller pennant from the top of the foam float where the bottom chain terminates.
On other boats, I have always passed the mooring pennant through the fair-lead to the deck cleat and not left it on the bow roller.  It appears that even with chaffing protection
the pennant (in heavy weather) will chaff against the C-P  bobstay.....  Using the bow roller adds a lot of load stress in that area and tends to cause the boat to plunge bow to
stern more in heavy weather (my experience on the larger boats), ect.
How have other others rigged their boats for mooring use.
Thanks,
Art 

PS I would not leave the boat in if severe weather was predicted 

Damsel19

My 19 has no bobstay...
But when I was mate on an Alden schooner we had a mooring pendant permanently attached to the bow eye at the base of the bobstay.
This was just long enough to easily secure on deck.
When anchoring or mooring we attached to this pendant.
The tail of the rode or mooring float pendant still came to the deck and was secured.
This allowed for retrieval and was a saftey line as well.
The operation is similar to using an anchor snubber.
The boat rides very well, requires less scope. Reduces yaw and pitch. Near zero chafe.
It looks odd having a line from the bow eye coming up to the stem but it is above the water line and adds no measurble drag. We would only remove it for long offshore passages.

Gerry

Chapman Piloting has a section entitled "Permanent Mooring" (look in the index) that describes the correct way of mooring a boat.  Other Coast Guard approved methods are readily available.  It is now suggested that two painters are used; one from the bow eye to the chain just below the float, and the second from the top of the ball to a bow cleat.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Jackrabbit

One caveat - I used to keep my Alberg 30 on a mooring with the two line (or pennant) approach.  Twin mooring lines seem to have a perverse way of getting all twisted up around each other after a while.  Could never figure out the physics of how that happens with just the boat circling the ball on a horizontal plane.  I've tried swivels and all manner of pennant attachments to the mooring chain, and they always end up twisted.  Boat must've done rolls an flips in the air when I wasn't looking!  In any event, the upshot of all this is that you should check on the boat weekly and untwist the lines,   as I'm not sure what would happen if you just let them keep on twisting - might be the toroidal strain would build up sufficiently to weaken or break the rope? 

S.V. "Restless"  (CP-19)