a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

To reiterate Horizon cat bobstay hull fitting issue

Started by Greg, April 15, 2019, 04:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Just bought a 2006 Horizon Cat (burgundy, exe cond) execpt the welds on both sides of the bracket are cracked half way from the bottom up. Called Com-pac to see about a replacement for the failing bracket and they want $55.00 for it. Seems a little odd to pay for a known defective part that can result in a catastrophic failure even if I'm not the original buyer.
Not tryin to get somethin for nothin, but...
Modify message
SV Blue Sky, Catalina 34 MKII
SV Sun King, Beneteau First 285
SV In Balance, Catalina 25
SV Puppy, Catalina 22 (my, at the time, toddler son named it)

Salty19

Known defect?   I think my hair was still dark the last time I heard about a broken bobstay or bracket on a Com-pac.    It's probably an abuse issue rather than a defect as most broken parts usually are (not always of course).

Salt water boat?  Marks of impact?  Storm damage? 

I really don't think you're going to convince anyone that Com-pac's customer service is bad.  In fact, most will argue it's the best they have ever seen. 

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Greg

See mast down alert at the top of this page.
No trauma to the sprit or rig.
I think its who you talk to.

Salty19

Fair enough and I see your point.    You could call back and ask for Gerry or Rich to talk over the issue a bit further.   Maybe they don't consider it a defect?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Greg

Talked to Rich. They are sending me a (new style), $55.00.
Onward!

PJ

Keep in mind that part held up for 13 years, so it is hard to back it as defective.  I have a 2004 Horizon Cat (the same year as the mast down post ).  My part is original, and I check it prior to every outing, along with the shrouds, rudder, mast step, and anything else that could make for a bad day....
s/v Good Tidings

Greg

I hear ya PJ and my intent isn't to troll an issue. My point is a component this critical should only fail from trauma or very old age. And it seems that they have acknowledged and addressed this issue with a more robust revision. I have owned and rehabed four sloops over the past 27 years. Example, I  bought davits for my last boat and a mounting plate with welded ears failed after six months. I called Garhauer and talked to Mark who sent me revised replacements for both mounts within a week at no charge, no questions asked. I know Com-pac builds high quality yachts as is also reflected in their price and have heard nothing but rave reviews about their boats and service. I did buy this boat used, and I researched these models as much as there is to find and am very confident that this Horizon Cat will deliver.

I'm not pissed, just a little disappointed.

PJ

The Horizon Cat in the mast down post is a 2004, same year as mine.  Point being that boat was also 10 years old at point of failure.  The year the post hit the forum is not the relevant issue nor was it what I was intending....  By the way, I spoke to Gerry prior to purchase of my 2004 to see if they would replace the bracket to the beefier version as I explained it was the same year as the failure.  They would not, but I completely understand.

I also looked at purchasing the HC that had the other mast down.  In that case, water intrusion via slipping down the mast into the front locker caused the entire mast step to drop while under sail putting the mast into the water.  Gerry personally helped that new to him boat owner by designing an aluminum plate that Gerry and team fiber glassed in.  The failure was a result of a previous owner drilling holes near the mast to run an electrical conduit for lightning  strikes. 

In my opinion in all the conversation/advice, and parts ordered dealing with Com-Pac they are a great group of people at Hutchins - and that was the primary intent of my post....
s/v Good Tidings

Greg

I received the bracket within a week, nice and heavy duty. Service IS excellent!

Greg

Pics of the removed bobstay bracket.

Greg

Unfortunately the holes do not line up for the new one.

Greg

Done!
Cleanup after cure.

Andre

Hi Greg,

I've been going through various posts here thinking of periodic maintenance  checks that I should be doing on my HC and came across your newly installed bobstay bracket photo.

I hope this was just an illustration of your repair and not how you're actually securing the bobstay to the bracket. Because as rigged in the photo the only thing that's keeping your rig up is that little cotter ring!

Other than that, it's a great writeup.

Andre

Greg

The stainless cotter ring is holding the the clevis pin in place. There is no load on the ring. The clevis pin is hardened stainless designed for shear loads. The soft 316 SST bolt provided from the factory is not ideal for that vector of stress. ie look at all the clevis pins supporting the shroud and stay loads of any sailboat.

Also the point I made 5/5/19, see below.

Thanks for the heads-up. I assumed all hardware is 316 SS. Having received a new lower bobstay bracket I thought it a bit odd that the bobstay bolt shoulder did not fully extend the span of the bracket. Now I will look at the upper bracket assy as well. Got me thinking boring out the holes and looking into long clevis pins which are designed for shear loads instead. The threads on 304 or 316 SS bolts, tubes etc. are not strong (ok tensile, not good with shear loads). Many years ago I worked R&D for an aerospace firm and did some material testing on a 316 SS threaded adapter. Pressure stressed with dye, sliced it, polished it and through a microscope saw that when threads are cut into these materials cracks/fissures are created (galling) and extend into the material (sometimes all the way through hence leaks/failures) and the spec had to be de-rated. I would also recommend looking very closely (maybe with a magnifying glass) for hairline cracks in the welds. The fillet metal is very brittle. I assume that when beam reaching or anything more windward there would be significant sideways stress put on the sprit through the forestay as well as vertical stress from higher sheet tensions. This boat is a modification of the Herreshoff America which had a one piece mast, single forestay and no sprit. I think it would wise of us to regularly inspect our rigs. Wash it off and let it breath.

Andre

Ok

I'm not saying that a clevis pin is not right for the application, I'm just concerned about the ring in an area where for example an anchor line might snag on it.  I do use those fast pins on the forestay with rings that the boats come with but I safety wire them in place through the pin hole (I only trailer 200 yds to the ramp so seldom drop the mast). And in other places as well like in turnbuckles but I tape them and I do a quick shroud tension check before and after I go out.

Peace ....

Andre